New Member and squirt build from Yorkshire UK

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

sproggy

Re: New Member and squirt build from Yorkshire UK

Postby sproggy » Thu May 11, 2017 3:05 am

Hi Mick.

When you say 'African Mahogany' do you mean utile? Khaya?

Robbins are well renowned for marine ply. They've quoted me £33 delivery for 3 sheets of 8' x 4' ply (Elite) and 4sq m of 4/4 white oak which I think is pretty reasonable given the size/weight involved. Delivery is with Tuffnells.

I've checked out loads of local places for both solid lumber and marine ply but none of them inspired much confidence. My nearest supplier for oak charges more than double what Robbins do! Sykes Timber do okume marine ply and they're in the Midlands so a bit closer to you - depends how far you're willing to travel. Factor in fuel and time and I figure delivery is preferable.

Ian

gap998

Postby gap998 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:05 am

I'm not sure how far Robbins deliver - Sheffield may be stretching it a bit - but they have a good reputation.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Sun May 14, 2017 10:33 am

gap998 wrote:I'm not sure how far Robbins deliver - Sheffield may be stretching it a bit - but they have a good reputation.

They deliver to Hertfordshire! And I'm sure someone from Northern Ireland ordered from them too. They use Tuffnells so delivery should be nationwide.

Azt3k

Postby Azt3k » Tue May 16, 2017 10:27 am

Hi Sproggy

I did infact use a local boat yard who Had some marine ply laying about and didn't pay to much for it either. He has a few more sheets left which I'm gunna collect next week. That should be enough ply to get me through till the end :D

Azt3k

Postby Azt3k » Tue May 16, 2017 10:31 am

Finally been cutting out my stem, breast hook and transom knee today. And finished off epoxying the other side of my gussets. So I'm pretty pleased with how everything is turning out at the moment. Few more days work on the boat build then I can start work on the form. So excited and really enjoying taking time on this build... only trouble is I find it hard to put my tools down and call it a day lol :mrgreen:

IMG_2700.JPG

Next little jobs to do is finish transom and make the floor gusset for frame #2

...... and yes I did sit on the floor between my frames and pretend to drive :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”