Howdy from Camano Island, we're building Cabin Skiff !

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

watkibe

Howdy from Camano Island, we're building Cabin Skiff !

Postby watkibe » Fri May 05, 2017 9:43 pm

We live on Camano Island, in the Puget Sound,state of Washington, USA. It's a funny kind of island - you can drive here. Our county is comprised of two islands, and you can drive to both of them. However, driving from one to the other is an hour or more trip.

I have built three Glen-L designs by myself previously (back in 80s and 90s). This time we are building the Cabin Skiff. My wife will be an important part of this project, just as she is important in the rest of my life. I have gotten tools, the stitch and glue kit, and the marine plywood for the hull. We have a nice barn with a concrete floor, and a tight roof. I put up a bunch of clamp-on lights with 100 W bulbs. It's cold, and a little damp now, but later in the year it can be very hot. I made some sawhorses and a plywood table top as a work bench.The big pattern sheets demand a big level area. I will post the smaller drawings on a piece of cardboard on the wall; and my wife took pictures of the plywood layout drawings. That way we can refer to them without unrolling the big sheets. I have noticed that in the title area of each big sheet the numbers of the parts depicted are given. I think I will write that down and print it up as a useful cross reference.

I am retired on disability, and have not done much building of anything for almost 20 years. I am learning that I should start out with cutting and making small, simple parts while I am regaining my shop skills. My intention is to get the boat built within two years.

As I used to tell my manager during performance evaluations, "It's a challenge, and I'm excited !"
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

specialk

Re: Howdy from Camano Island, we're building Cabin Skiff !

Postby specialk » Sat May 06, 2017 6:09 am

welcome to the builders forum, it sounds like to have a great shop, good luck on your build and take lots of pictures...!
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Sun May 07, 2017 12:25 am

Hey Special K, thanks for the shout ! Yep, the shop is good, and I have the best partner in the build, too. I will post photos, as subjects become available.

watkibe

Glen-L boats I have known (and built)

Postby watkibe » Sun May 07, 2017 9:55 pm

In the late 80s I built Mister Jon. Most jon boats are entirely without sweet lines, but not Mr Jon; she has a sweet sheer line. A ply on frame design.

Early 90s I built Pirogue, a stitch and glue design.

Later in the 90s, during a long lay-off, I toyed with the idea of making boats and selling them. The project was Stripper, a cedar strip canoe. I did not find the building method to my liking, and when finished, I traded it to pay off an obligation. I don't think that makes me a professional by any stretch of the definition, haha. Besides, I got a job and went back to work.

I have been contemplating building another for about 3 years. I felt that the Power Skiff 14 was the most boat for the buck. My experience with Pirogue showed me how easy it is to build a really sturdy craft with the S&G method. I think the FAST-G method is evolutionary. I got the Console skiff video, and realized that the "Skiff" designs had really progressed. That's what I was going to build, but at the last minute I went over the "Skiff" family with my wife. She immediately picked the Cabin Skiff. I admired that design the most all along, but felt it was beyond my budget and my skill. But hey, with my wife behind me, it had to work, right ? We are both in our 60s, and don't fancy the idea of navigating the saltchuck in an open outboard skiff. We mostly get rain, but when the sun shines it gets pretty warm. We will really appreciate the hard top. I will probably extend it aft just a bit.

specialk

Postby specialk » Wed May 10, 2017 6:16 am

Please take a lot of pictures. ..the CS-20 is on a short list for my next build...
I have been reading a little about the Stitch and glue method ...
I just have to finish a couple of other projects before my wife will let me build another boat...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”