I have the plans, that is it so far

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Evan

I have the plans, that is it so far

Postby Evan » Sun May 21, 2017 4:13 pm

I ordered the Tuffy plans at the start of May. I am not sure when I am going to start, everything I already own is broken or needs some kind of maintenance. Those things should probably be fixed first.

At least I will have time to go over the boat building book and the plans before I am able to get going.

I do have a place to build the boat, when I built the garage my wife actually believed that she would be parking her car in there, she knows the truth now though.

I chose the Tuffy because I already have an outboard and trailer that will work, also I just like the look of it. There are hopes of building a larger boat but this will give me a chance to see if I can do it as well as enjoy it.

There is a lumber supplier with both quarter sawn white oak and mahogany, any thoughts on which is better? They are both about the same cost.

garrech

Re: I have the plans, that is it so far

Postby garrech » Sun May 21, 2017 7:45 pm

I like the Tuffy's lines. Look forward to watching your build. Not sure about the answer to your question though. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

TomB

Postby TomB » Mon May 22, 2017 5:05 am

I am using white oak for frames and African mahogany for everything else. I find mahogany to be easier to work with and would recommend using mahogany for everything if the costs are equal.

Evan

Postby Evan » Mon May 22, 2017 2:16 pm

I guess I should add that I can get regular white oak at about half the cost of quarter sawn. I figured the quarter sawn would be a better bet for the frames but maybe that is not true?

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Tue May 23, 2017 3:09 am

My supplier doesn't offer quarter-sawn white oak. They claim that non-quarter-sawn is so stable that quarter-sawn is not worth the additional expense (would be interesting to hear opinions on that!). This makes white oak by far the most economical of frame materials for me, plus it's stronger than mahogany which I figure is an advantage as I'm stretching the design a bit. All my framing (transverse and longitudinal) will be white oak.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Tue May 23, 2017 7:53 am

Welcome to the forum!

I'll really look forward to following your build. While I'm pretty sure that my powerboat building days are over, if I were to build another one, it would probably be the Tuffy because it has great lines and I have a classic 1957 Johnson Javelin motor that I think the Tuffy would be a perfect boat for. What motor are you planning to use? Also, are you going to extend it or build the regular 13 footer?

My two cents, I like the mahogany for everything. While it may not be as strong as the white oak, it's well more than ample strong enough and so much easier to work with.

Evan

Postby Evan » Wed May 24, 2017 4:03 am

I am going to stick with the plans.

I have a 25 Johnson (think it is a 99). It is a tiller steer right now but I should be able to snag some used mechanical controls. This motor should push it along at a decent speed. I don't think this will be an issue for a while though.

Since this is my first try it would be nice to keep the costs down as much as possible. I don't know about the quarter sawn either, I read it is more stable but for a boat of this size will that really matter. The wood will already be dried.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”