Hello from Midcoast Maine

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

saltpine

Hello from Midcoast Maine

Postby saltpine » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:49 am

Hello all,

I have been lurking for several weeks now and have decided to take a plunge and am planning out my first build. I moved to midcoast Maine at the end of last year; it seems quite silly to live in this area without a boat seeing as how moorings are practically free...

I am an avid fisherman, and would like to build something towards that end. I was looking at the Atlantic Skiff, as I would like to do a proper inboard powerhouse, but I only have 25' of length in the garage bay to work with... will this be too tight to get the hull constructed? Looking to keep it simple but functional, and must be something that can handle rougher seas, and get to the bluewater tuna on nicer days (~40 miles offshore) while still serving as a large utility open deck that I can stack some lobster traps on, or bring some guests out with to catch an evening sunset.

Looking forward to hearing any suggestions from experienced Glen L builders, particularly those familiar with the waters of northern New England.

Best,
saltpine

saltpine

Re: Hello from Midcoast Maine

Postby saltpine » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:19 am

I have purchased the study plans, and from this I have determined that it will indeed fit inside my third bay of the garage, although length-wise it will be a very tight fit!

Mostly, I am looking for guidance on the Atlantic Skiff's seaworthiness -- is there enough freeboard to take this boat offshore in nice conditions (2-3 ft seas)?

Lastly, when it comes to rigging options, it looks like this boat is pretty bare bones, which is great as I try to stick to a very "utilitarian" budget (do it right, but do it functionally and minimally). Any experienced members want to chime in on modifications they might consider to make this more fish-worthy?

saltpine

Re: Hello from Midcoast Maine

Postby saltpine » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:27 am

For bluewater, I've seen many posts recommending the Double Eagle. How does this boat compare to the Chunky Dory or Key West in terms of rough seas handling, as well as cruising speed?

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”