Hello from the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Catbldr

Hello from the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Postby Catbldr » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi, My name is Jeff. I have been driving by all the boat works around here looking at all the huge 50 and 60 foot sport fishers they build here and wondering what is must be like to build boats. Now I have my chance. This area is rich with boat build history and fishing in general. I love living here and I am looking forward to this build. It will be challenging indeed and I can see that the time spent will be well spent. I have a warehouse in Manteo, NC to build so hopefully I won't my lease won't get cancelled.

Best to all and hopefully I can lean on everyone for advice.

Jeff
Last edited by Catbldr on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weller

Re: Hello from the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Postby weller » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:01 pm

In my opinion you are in the best place in the world to build a boat. The builders around you build some of the best sportfishing boats made, and can be recognized in any marina. I talked to a few builders down there before I started my boat. With the people on this forum and the builders around you, you shouldn't have any problem building the boat you want.
"My mind is on a permanent vacation, the ocean is my only medication"

Catbldr

Postby Catbldr » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks Weller, I hope to tap so of that expertise here and on this form as well. I've had many hobbies but never this enthusiastic about getting started on this on. I can tell many ate skeptic that I can do it but that said that when I want to go to medical school. That skepticism will make me an even better job.

weller

Postby weller » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:14 am

I had a lot of people that thought I couldn't do it too, that makes me laugh.
as for talking to the builders around there, I just walked into the shops with the doors open and walked around, eventually someone will notice your not supposed to be there and you can start up a conversation about boat building and you in. Good luck and keep us posted.
"My mind is on a permanent vacation, the ocean is my only medication"

Catbldr

My lease did get cancelled.

Postby Catbldr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:31 pm

I just got every thing reorganized to get going on my boat. A ton of stuff put upstairs to make room and everything ready to go. Then POOF! My lease gets cancelled and I have to move. I puts me 6 weeks behind but hopefully be done by May. Just had an epic 2 weeks of moving. Now getting everything reorganized in new shop. It's bigger and better lighting. Once things put away I can start.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”