Hello from Texas

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

JiminTex

Hello from Texas

Postby JiminTex » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:50 am

Hello to all, I am Jim Patterson, I live in Spring Branch,Texas, I am a disabled retired Police Officer from NYPD from 9/11/01. I am very interested in building a either Coastal Cruiser, True Grit or Go Big or go Home Klondike for retirement. I feel my calling to the sea was missed and now that I have my health back, I Like the Idea of spending a lot of time on the water, since kids are moving on to college and life. I don't want to be stuck in a house looking at the walls.. I like the Idea of a trailer-able boat and I also like the Idea of a larger boat to live on. I have always been Called RADAR since I was able to come up with ideas and equipment to make my former job work. I am stuck with a pacemaker so welding is not the best thing for me, I don't want to flounder on the ground after shorting myself out....LOL . So wood is my speed. I am still deciding since my height is 6'3 and I have always been a big guy. I once went on a Sea-ray and almost got stuck in the doorway.....Kept hitting my head and my hips where to wide....LOL. I am looking for ideas for a week end boat and daily boat to spend fishing in the Gulf. But it must have head clearance and hip clearance..... This forum has enlightened me to all the problems and over coming's that you get with building a boat. I look forward to posting my work once I pick out a vessel.

mrintense

Re: Hello from Texas

Postby mrintense » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum from another Cen Tex builder. I'm located just north of Austin and building a Vera Cruise. Another builder, Skip, recently finished a Monaco and he lives in the same general vicinity as you. There's a few other's a bit further away. When you decide on a design and get started, please keep us posted here on the forum. We love pictures and you'll find us a great resource for staying motivated and answering questions when you get stuck.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

JiminTex

Postby JiminTex » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Thank you so much for the welcome, I am leaning toward the True grit design since it minimizes the transitions on roof line and also gives a good spot for a marine A/C. I will not try and cook myself with the fish.... I will create a page to track progress. I am looking to start in September after my daughter leaves for college. Maybe I will have some money then..... She keeps spending it.

curtgard

Postby curtgard » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:42 am

Jim

You might want to think about going to the gathering in Sept. in Tennessee so you can see first hand a couple of True Grit boats. I plan on being there with mine and Ray should be there with his. I realize that Tennessee is a long way for you to travel but the designs that you are considering will take thousands of hours of your time to build so a few days of travel time might be time well spent. If you do decide on the True Grit design, I am here to answer any questions you may have.

Curt

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:18 am

Jim

Last year, we had a Coastal Cruise stop by to refuel.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”