Hi new from Alabama

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Allen R.

Hi new from Alabama

Postby Allen R. » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Hello to all from Alabama, new to the forum . Going to be building the AMP Eater as my first boat. Looking forward to discussions and tip on this build. New to the boat building scene and thought the Amp Eater would be a great starter to do. Waiting on plans to get started and not really sure on the best marine wood to use. Building on a budget but want it to look and perform good too. This will more than likely not be my only build as I want to do a zip as well. looking forward to talks with others who have built the Amp Eater.

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Hi new from Alabama

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:57 pm

Welcome to our Forum! I'm glad to hear you are going to build the Amp Eater--that's a neat boat. You'll have to check out Capt. Dave's thread about building his Amp Eater: http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26296&hilit=amp+eater

Dave brought his boat to our Gathering in Tennessee last year, so you might want to make plans to attend this year's event September 14-17. You'll find details at this link: http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=69

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:52 pm

Allen

Where in AL are you? I'm in Pelham. JasonQ is in Trussville. We have others.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Allen R.

Postby Allen R. » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:22 pm

I'm in the Dothan area. about 4hrs. from Birmingham. I'm hoping to get started on the boat as soon as the wood and epoxy gets here. I know nothing of building a boat but think I can do this one. I will be checking out Capt. Dave on his build and maybe get some pointers from him.

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Allen,

Welcome to the Glen-L connection. I'm glad to hear that you are building an Amp Eater. I think it is one of the neatest designs in the catalog, but I am prejudiced since I am building one too. I am 1-1/2 years into the project and about 2 weeks from launching. I probably have about 200 hours into it so far including help from my wife and my son. I will be at the Gathering at Hales bar this September, maybe about half a days drive for you. Come out and take a spin in mine. This is my first time at building a boat. Trace the patterns and cut out carefully and everything will go together like magic. The instructions have all the info, though sometimes you have to look closely at the plans to see it. I will be glad to answer any question that I can. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on the forum who are always willing to help. Post your progress. You will make the third active Amp Eater builder currently.
I hope to hear from you soon!
90055_20121022154234_817436_max (1).jpg
Nice Looking Amp Eater from Washington State
Capt. Dave

tcough

Postby tcough » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Welcome to the forum and world of boat building. I'm just down the road from you in Panama City, building a Flat's Flyer. I am building it, just paused while we moved from Orlando up here. Had to get the new house in order first, now I'm building a dedicated wood shop, probably going to call it the Boatshed!
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

Allen R.

Postby Allen R. » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Hey tcough , Glad to know there is someone close to me. Just got the plans in and looking at wood now. Going to be down that way this weekend. Me and the wife are heading to our boat to relax and unwind. What part of PC are you located?

tcough

Postby tcough » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:17 pm

We're just off of 231 on the north side of town. I'll send you a PM with my cell number, give me a call if you have an opportunity to meet. We have a deck boat and could even meet you on the water somewhere, weather permitting. It's been raining a lot down here, hope it stays dry to get some "water therapy" as my wife calls it.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”