Overwhelmed Newbie from Georgia

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Zapped

Overwhelmed Newbie from Georgia

Postby Zapped » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:58 am

Hello there! New member from Georgia here. I'm just north of Atlanta. I've spent a good chunk of my life around boats, talking about boats, drooling over boats, hearing stories about my grandfather's boat company, and now I've decided to build a boat.

This whole idea started with a mini version of an early model Chris Craft runabout, when I say mini - I mean really small, I was going for a boat no bigger than the length of 1.5-2 bumper boats. Having a husband that's 6'2" pretty much threw that idea out the window. Looks like I'm going for the Malahini right now. It has everything that I love design-wise - the split cockpit, nice weight distribution (from what I can tell as a rookie), outboard because I don't know anything about motors (this ought to be fun), bench seating in the back, and short enough bow that I can see what's in front of me...I hope.

Not sure when I'm starting the build, not going to rush it because I don't want to make an expensive mistake. This whole process has become a bit overwhelming so far (too much info too soon? ). I've been trapped in my workshop organizing my tools and cleaning up my work area to prep for this build. I hope I have enough space to build her, I sure don't have enough clamps. Clamps I can change, space I cannot.
Planning to build the Malahini

Brad Tucker

Re: Overwhelmed Newbie from Georgia

Postby Brad Tucker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:08 pm

Welcome to the forum! I think there are a few Malahini builders on here, and several who are very willing to answer questions. Lots of knowledge, experience and wisdom. I'm from east of Athens and it's nice to see a fellow Georgian here. Good luck, and as I've said, these ladies and gentlemen here are top notch!

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:11 pm

By the way: Suwanee Lumber Company carries African Mahogany and marine grade fir plywood.

Zapped

Postby Zapped » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:53 pm

Thanks for the tip! I need to add them to my spreadsheet. Malahini seems to be a very popular boat, I hope that means that it's not beyond difficult. I don't expect it to be easy, but I don't want to wind up on the shop floor in the fetal position either! lol

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:00 pm

:lol: It's probably easier than you think, but there will be some occasional head scratchers. That's where this forum becomes a gold mine of information and knowledge. When you begin, be sure to start a topic so we can follow along!

Zapped

Postby Zapped » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:46 pm

Oh I definitely will! I'm sure I'll have loads of questions during the build.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Go for it, I built a Malahini and I'm no wood worker. The key to completion for me is never getting ahead of the task at hand. If there are 999 tasks in a building a boat and today is the day to work on task #1, order the boat building with plywood book from Glen L. Step #2, enjoy reading the book. #3, order plans....etc. see, you're already down to 996 things to do.
Mistakes will happen, you'll overreact, and the folks on the forum will help you find an answer. The forum doesnt so much tell you what to do, but helps you make a decision on your boat.
Building a boat is fun,
Matt B

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:29 am

I'm building a malahini as well. And like Matt, I'm no wood worker (though he is light years ahead of me). Definitely get the book on building with plywood. I think the malahini is doable for first time builders. There will be plenty of help here when you need it.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

lakeracer69

Postby lakeracer69 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:57 am

+1 Buy Glen-L's "Boat building with plywood". Many of your questions will be answered there. It is an invaluable reference.
As Conan the Barbarian says, " It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and remain standing".

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:00 am

Welcome aboard!! Good to see more women getting involved in boat building and other projects. There is plenty of help on the forum so ask questions and post pictures.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Zapped

Postby Zapped » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:29 am

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice! I'll be ordering that book shortly :)

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”