I will be turning wood into a Cabin Skiff soon...

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

PeterG

Re: I will be turning wood into a boat shortly.

Post by PeterG » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:23 am

Cake decorating funnels are a great idea, a disposable version of that is to use Ziploc style bags with a corner cut off. You put your epoxy in the bag, snip a corner the size you need and squeeze away. That helped me a lot when I was repairing the floor of my old fiberglass boat boat and needed to apply fillets at the new keel and stringers in the hull. When the bag is empty you chuck it and get another one. Freezer bags are more rugged and you may be able to reuse it by popping the epoxy out after it sets up.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:15 am

Thanks to PeterG for the tip on the "disposable cake decorator hack" using zip lock baggies. Since my last post and your post, I used my wife's real cake decorator gizmo to finish the transom glue up. Just as we finished, my wife dashed to the house for a large beaker of hot water and vinegar (recommended for tool clean up). The whole disassembled tool is still in that mixture; quick examination seems to show that it will be easily re-used.
I was adamant about getting the gluing done when we did it, as I was scheduled for surgery the next day. I am still recovering and have settled for the quick check until I feel better.
We started the night before with pre-heating . There is a small AC heater inside, and a small halogen work light outside; a blue tarp forms an ad hoc tent above to help contain the warmed air.
The heats stayed on until the next morning. We took the resin, hardener, and filler with us from the warm house out to the coolish 50 degree barn. I mixed the hardeners first, 1 fast to 2 slow, and then mixed it with 3 parts resin. My wife opened the bag of filler, donned her mask, and filled a 1/2 cup measure.We ended up with a very stiff mixture when we had added 1 and 1/2 cups. and then loaded that into the cake decorator. I had pre-selected and installed a nozzle that would fit onto most of the voids. Squirting epoxy putty worked well, followed with tongue depressor filleting and putty knife clean up. We were able to mechanically clean up the decorator tube quite well prior to dropping it into the cleaning solution.
The last 3 pics show the glued in transom with the laid in place keel and knee; emphasis is on how square and plum the transom ended up being.

I hope I can get back on my feet again soon; industrial strength steroids and pain meds conduce quite well to boat dreaming, but not so well to boat building ! I did spend some time reading up on other Cabin Skiff builders, Ray Macke in particular. His chronology varies a little depending on where you read it, but he seems to have gotten from plans to launching in somewhere between 1 and 2 years ! I have read other builders compare their building speeds with glaciation, and even continental drift ! He also says he has close to 27k miles beneath the keel of his CS. In a video promoting his need to build a bigger boat, he says the 27K miles has been run without his wife, because the boat is too small for the two of them...Yikes !
Attachments
boat2-18 003.jpg
boat2-18 002.jpg
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:07 pm

Started gluing the stem and chine seams. Temps are about 40 degrees F, but by mixing fast and slow hardeners, it is setting up fine. Just make a loose little tent with cardboard and a tarps, and put a small heater inside.
It is becoming more like actually building a boat, day by day.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:09 pm

Looking great. Glad you were able to find a way to make the epoxy work for you.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

watkibe

Re: Boat in a tent and random weights

Post by watkibe » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:06 pm

We finally got the keel laminated in place. My back surgery recovery and the cold temperatures have made it easy to procrastinate, but I try to just do a little at a time. Eventually I will get it done !
Glen says "working quickly", about the glue-up. Haha ! He means it. Two 12 foot laminations had to be epoxied into place before anything set up. I am using fast and slow hardeners mixed at about a 3 to 4 ratio, so even in the 40 degree range you have maybe an hour. It sounds like plenty of time, but my wife had to mix about 6 or 8 liters of the epoxy putty, while I was in the boat laminating and filleting.
Afterwards, we covered the boat with cardboard and a tarp and put a small heater inside, for about 24 hours. I used a few fasteners to make sure the keel stayed in the right place, but also had to use random weights to hold it to the curvature of the bottom. We uncovered it last night, and tonight I will get back inside to remove the weights and finally get a look at what we did.
Attachments
boat2-19 005.jpg
boat2-19 003.jpg
boat2-19 012.jpg

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:17 pm

I am 2 months past the second back surgery now, and this one seems to have worked. No pain now, except for the rehab to regain my strength...
Anyway, temps are more spring-like now, and we are back to work.
The bottom batten laminations are nearly complete now. The building form is out, so working inside the boat is easier. It's almost fun to work on the boat when it's not freezing, so I am trying to do at least one thing every day while its more temperate.
Pictures to follow, next day or so.

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:55 pm

Still making progress, slow and pretty steady ! The transom knee is bolted in, awaiting epoxy. The long beams are being fitted.
I just bought the wood for the lower breasthook and the lower sheer clamp. I found some 16 foot long clear vertical grain (CVG) douglas fir 1x3s. I will rip them in half for the clamps. The BOM calls out mahogany, but my reading tells me that the CVG fir should be good, and oh yeah, it's a lot less expensive. For the breast hook, I got 8 feet of 1x12 CVG hemlock. It was five bucks less per foot than CVG fir, and now days, building dimensional lumber is marked "hem/fir", so I figure it should be pretty much equivalent. It should be enough for the upper breast hook too. Photos soon I promise !

Any comments on my wood selection ?

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:58 pm

I finally found some duct tape to hold the batteries in my camera long enough to take a couple of pictures of recent progress. May not look like much, but I'm gaining momentum, and progress will soon be fast enough to be visible without time lapse photography.
Attachments
boat2-19 022.jpg
boat2-19 017.jpg

watkibe

It's not all Bob Ross Boat Building !

Post by watkibe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:03 pm

When I was tacking up the starboard long beam ass'y., I read and re-read the directions and looked closely at the drawings. When I put it back in the boat to check it, everything was backwards. This is where The Bob Ross Boat Building School comes in : there are no mistakes, only happy little accidents. I had actually built the perfect port long beam ! So, a happy little accident. Ha Ha !

The first edition of the breast hook didn't work. Built from 2 lams of solid wood, with 6 compound angle cuts to do, so that it fits the the hull and the two lower sheers, it was challenging. The first one was not a happy little accident; instead, it's probably firewood. The second edition of the breast hook works just fine.

Good work comes from experience. Experience comes from bad work. Never be afraid to try, you may surprise yourself, even if all you learn is how to do it better next time.

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:37 pm

It seems like forever, but according to my boat building journal, I only started building this about April 2017. Looked at like that, it just seems...slow.
Photos are of the lower sheers, transom knee, and the breasthook permanently installed. This seems like some kind of a milestone; I can really feel what a strong, rigid, young boat she is becoming. :roll:
Attachments
boat2-22 004.jpg
boat2-22 003.jpg
boat2-22 002.jpg

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:37 am

This is looking great! It took me four years to get mine in the water. I think you're doing fine. Just a suggestion, you can go back to the first post in this thread and change the subject. Maybe put the name of the design in there so that folks interested in the design can find it more easily.
Matt

watkibe

Re: I will be turning wood into a Cabin Skiff soon...

Post by watkibe » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:00 pm

Good idea, Matt, thanks ! I added the design name.
I just kept posting on the very first thread that I started, and never thought about it getting long...

hoodman

Re: I will be turning wood into a Cabin Skiff soon...

Post by hoodman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:47 am

I like the idea of having the whole build from start to finish in one thread. Convenient if someone wants to read about it.
Matt

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”