I will be turning wood into a Cabin Skiff soon...

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

watkibe

Re: I will be turning wood into a Cabin Skiff soon...

Post by watkibe » Mon May 27, 2019 9:57 pm

Thanks, Clipper !
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Here is the fiberglass taped over the chine joints. The bow joint already has two finished layers. The FG in these photos has now been epoxied in place. When the second layer on the chines is in, I'll post more photos.
Happy Boat Building !
watkibe
Attachments
boat2019-2.jpg
boat2019-1.jpg

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:15 am

Looking good!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:27 pm

Laughing to myself after looking at the photos. Nice work. The laughing is because I remember after I first flipped my hull and started looking at that cavernous interior and thinking just how much work I still had to do.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:11 pm

I'm not laughing yet, Carl. :lol:
I won't turn mine until the topsides are essentially complete, minus the pilot house. When I do, the exterior will be raw marine plywood and copper wires that I will have to try to turn into a boat.
All the interior seams have fiberglass epoxied in place now. At the moment, I have the motor well sides, which I fabricated last winter, lightly nailed and screwed into place. Next step: take them back out, mix, fill and apply epoxy putty, and then fasten them back into place for good. Then it will be time to glue/screw the long beams in place, measure and cut the center beam, and install it. Then the sole and the rest of the motor well.
The design is great; the motor well across the stern forms kind of an "egg crate", a box, that allows for the strength of such a light structure. The forward deck and cabin form another "box" forward, all with an uncluttered interior.
Yes, I admire Glen's work, and that's why I am working on the fourth one of his designs.
Attachments
boat2019-11.jpg
boat2019-10.jpg
boat2019-7.jpg

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:29 pm

I should add that Sam Devlin was the guy who really got me interested in stich n glue, and Tracy O'Brien, both Northwest locals. Carl, one of your old comments refers to some large s-n-g boats being very stout. Devlin has designs up to around 35 feet. He has repaired enough boats after collisions to have real confidence in the strength of s-n-g. My previous s-n-g effort, Pirogue, was very strong. Glen actually acknowledges Devlin and O'Brien for helping him learn to design for this method.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:21 am

Oh I definitely believe that SNG boats are stout. I have two friends here in Texas who built 28 foot Bluejackets (also SNG) and they are plenty strong. Sam Devlin was one of the first boat authors I read. Ultimately I decided on frame construction, but not due to any concerns about SNG.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:48 pm

I got the motor well sides glued in finally ! For so long they were just set in place. The first (bottom) photo shows them, with the little jig I made to help during the glue up. Second photo is devoid of religious content, haha, it's just the top view of the motor well sides. Third photo is just because my wife has an eye for the dramatic, which makes the boat look pretty cool. I got this done before the current spate of medical appointments.
Next up is beefing up the fillets and then adding BA FG strips on the joints. Then I can move on to the long beams.

Say, I have a question: Should I be installing drains (scuppers) through the transom in the splash well ? If so, it looks like now is the time to do it while there is room before building the splash well. Also, I am not even sure what to call them, but there are metal thimbles that act as pass throughs, or scuppers, in a bulkhead or such. I think they come in 2 parts, and screw into each other; and they are bedded in goop. What are they called, and who has them ? I hope to find them in bronze, as that is part of the design theme I want.
More will be revealed in the fullness of time...
Attachments
20190712_182623.jpg
20190712_182157.jpg
20190712_182113.jpg

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:57 am

watkibe, Most marine supply have drain tubes. I have not seen bronze tubes. Usually in brass. I think they are 1 1/4 ". I plan on two at the bottom of the splash well through the transom.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:12 am

Not quite sure what you have in mind...

Bryan is referring to drain tubes something like this https://www.boatdesigns.com/Drain-Tube- ... /05%2D514/

When you mention bronze I think of garboard drain plugs like https://www.boatdesigns.com/Bronze-Garb ... 05%2D676B/

Tom

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:56 pm

Thanks, Tom and Bryan for the replies !

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:54 am

Your boat is really coming along and looks great! I hope you don't mind if I use this quote as I think it's a great one--I would give you credit, of course:
"Good work comes from experience. Experience comes from bad work. Never be afraid to try, you may surprise yourself, even if all you learn is how to do it better next time."

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:31 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Gayle. Of course you may quote me; I am flattered that you think I'm quotable, thanks !

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”