To introduce myself

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Conrad54

To introduce myself

Postby Conrad54 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Hello;
As instructed, I just want to introduce myself and a little bit of my background. I am a *semi-retired builder/contractor; I am very active building things made of wood, i.e. Wall Clocks, Furniture, cabinets, etc. However, never have built a boat! Always wanted to do so, but between traveling/living in over 20 different cities in both USA and Canada. Also did not having a place, or shop large enough to move around, work and secure a boat. Recently I added a small shop to my home that will allow me to work on something that large. Now I am looking for a design that will fit into my families lifestyle.

I think I would enjoy building a beautifully detailed small sailboat to start. Live in Phoenix, and have lived in Arizona since the State contained less than 1+ Million people, or before air-conditioning! I am married to the same girl I married 40 years ago, we met while hang gliding in Phoenix. We have four daughters and several grandchildren! Not all of my daughters live nearby, however I do have one daughter with three children, that live near the beach in Southern California. Every year we spend a week there at the beach, where a nice little sailboat would be a blast! Both for sailing, fishing and exploring for all of the family! So small is important because access to the beach and to launch is restricted to hand carrying the boat.

Over the years I have built (in addition to custom and tract homes, high-rise buildings, underground parking, airports, etc.) several wood clocks, barometers, Kentucky flintlock Rifles, rocking baby cradles, and a "Farm Table with Benches" by my daughter in Oklahoma with five children. However, I really want to build a boat next!

While exploration of the styles/plans, and building the boat, it would be great to get to know/talk/communicate with a few other people that, share common interest in boat building. Getting to know others that have built or are in the process of building a boat(s).

Thank you allowing me to be a part of your forum,

Conrad B. Scott
Phoenix, AZ

* Means I no longer take on large construction projects which require hiring crews!

DrBryanJ

Re: To introduce myself

Postby DrBryanJ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:55 am

Conrad:

Welcome to the forum. There is no shortage of people here willing to discuss boat building. You have come to the right place. Have you ordered "Boat Building with Plywood"?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Conrad54

Re: Boat building with Plywood?

Postby Conrad54 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:04 pm

Hello DrByan;
Thank you for the reply! No, not that particular title on boat building. Have read others and have read "Wooden Boats" magazine over the years. I'm always watching "You Tube" for hours learning how others have built boats. I have become more and more attracted to wooden boats after owning a tandem sea kayak for ten years. Bought it made in fiberglass really enjoyed the kayak (which had a sailing rig, and outrigger) for many years but it got too heavy for me after spinal fusion surgery. It was to heavy for me to get it loaded and unloaded to my truck roof (was heavy, 75 lbs, and 21 Ft. long). I recently had to sell it to a guy in Florida, to float the rivers and shores of Florida. It was a blast when I used it down there, and anywhere for that matter. Used it in rivers, the Gulf, California Pacific beaches, Atlantic it was great fun while I could physically jump in and out of it.

I would like to find something smaller (much smaller) wider and rows and sails. Just large enough for two big men, or four kids, and much easier to lift and move. Want to do a little sailing when one or two grandkids at a time. Not sure how I want to build it, I have the equipment to cut the material but precut may be the way to go! I have found from experience on other items that it can be more expensive to purchase material and fabricate it on your own than to purchase precut kit. Depends on many factors but we will see! Need to choose a boat design/plan first.

Thanks for your reply!

Conrad Scott

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Welcome to the forum, Conrad!

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Welcome, Conrad !
I visited Phoenix once back in the day, when people and air conditioning were scarce. I was a kid, so it was a lot of fun. I visited again as an adult, on a business trip. Both people and AC were abundant; not so much fun.
I have kept a "boat book" journal, not something I usually do, but it has been useful. I committed to building a boat, and began looking at designs, in 2014, and only started earlier this year. I write down the high points as building proceeds; it hgelps me keep perspective, and stay patient.
Good luck on whatever you build.
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”