Double Eagle 23' - SKEG

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Gaucho

Double Eagle 23' - SKEG

Postby Gaucho » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:19 pm

Hey Guys

My name is Rick, from South Brazil.
Im building a double eagle 23' and this is my first boat construction experience. I work as a cabinet maker, so wood work is not a problem for me.
Actually Im finishing the bottom planking and need to decide about the skeg.
For you guys, that have more experience in boat construction, can I built the skeg with a solid wood member, avoiding lamination ? I have a big piece of wood that I can use to do it. I will use a inboard motor.
What do you think about that ?

Regards
Rick
IMG_1050.JPG
IMG_0929.JPG

hoodman

Re: Double Eagle 23' - SKEG

Postby hoodman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Rick, great to hear from you. That is an awesome looking boat so far. Looks like you are doing a great job. I hope you will consider continuing to post about it here on the forum.

I don't have a definite answer for you on the skeg but it seems to me that it should be as stable as possible since you'll have a shaft running through it. If the plans call for a laminated skeg that could be one of the reasons. Or they just assume that most wont have access to a timber big enough and high enough quality to make it out of one solid piece.

There's lots of folks here that will know better than me, fortunately for you!

kens

Postby kens » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:05 am

I would be afraid of checking or cracking in a large one piece like that.
Laminations are more stable as far as checking and cracking. Laminations are shown on the plans, correct?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:36 am

That would be one long hole to drill and seal. And as Ken said, I'd be concerned about checking and warping.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 am

Thank you so much for the answers guys.

Checking and cracking is a point that I wasn't consider. You are completely right !!!! I will follow the plans and make a lamination skeg.

And cheers Hoodman, is gonna be a pleasure post more pictures as the work progresses.

Thanks a lot.

regards

Rick

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”