Greetings from Oregon

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

OKIBOY

Greetings from Oregon

Postby OKIBOY » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Hello to all. I will retire next year and am very interested in developing my boat building skills. I very much would like to build a skiff. Although we currently live in NW Oregon we will relocate next year to Oak Island, NC. Kindest regards to all. joe.

vupilot

Re: Greetings from Oregon

Postby vupilot » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Welcome,

Plenty to choose from here. Hard to beat a good ol wooden skiff.

watkibe

Re: Greetings from Oregon

Postby watkibe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:24 pm

RE: Developing your boatbuilding skills
The only was to develop your boatbuilding skills is to build a boat !
Start slow, one step at a time, and go carefully. Seems like the designs always start with something really important. I ended up doing some of the first, major parts twice. Also, don't be cheap. Boats usually take a while to build, and you will end up spending more than you planned. Buy good wood and supplies.
I am building my 4th boat, but when I started my skills were pretty rusty. The last one was almost 20 years ago. Now, I'm not a master craftsman, but I am much better than when I started. Be patient.
The most important thing is to have the itch. If you can't sit down to watch TV without thinking of what the next step is on the boat, then you will finish it, and you will have reaped the full benefits of the process.
Best of luck.
By the way, I spent 4 years in NW Oregon myself, going to school. Now I live north, on an island in Puget Sound.
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”