Hello, new member here!

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

jon3831

Hello, new member here!

Postby jon3831 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Hello,

I'm from the Inland Empire of Southern California and I'm probably going to turn lumber into sawdust and a boat.

My dad and grandfather built a plywood boat sometime back in the late '60s, and while the boat itself has long since gone, I remember it looking an awful lot like a Geronimo. So, along those same lines, I'm looking for a project for my daughter and I to do, because how cool would it be to have a third and fourth generation boat builder in the family?

I'm not in a tremendous hurry, as I have to get the garage cleaned out, get some projects done around the house, and I need to study everything to death before I begin, but I wanted to give the group an opportunity to talk me out of my plan, or at the very least point me in the right direction.

I'm looking at the Malahini. Probably lengthened the 10%. I like the lines of the classic runabout, but I also like the fact that it will fit in my garage for the build and after-build process. My concern, though, is that I'm a pretty big guy (6'3", 300lbs) and I'm vaguely concerned that the boat will be wind up being too small, maybe not so much in buoyancy but in engine ratings or whatever. The specs on the website don't really talk about payload, and it says "up to" 85hp, but you also get a weight penalty in that too.

I'm not looking to break any speed records, but I don't want to hobble myself right off the bat, either. ;)

So any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Roberta

Re: Hello, new member here!

Postby Roberta » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:58 am

Welcome aboard!! The Malahini is a very popular build and you will get much help on the forum. Do post progress pics and ask away.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:54 am

Jon

:lol: If you want someone to talk you out of this, you came to the wrong place. Definitely, do the 10% stretch. It's a good boat choice.

Boat speed is based on a running weight/Shaft HP. http://www.glen-l.com/how-fast/ You're correct that more HP means more weight, and more money. It's a balancing act.

Good luck and we'll leave the light on.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:06 am

Jon: The malahini is a very nice boat. It says rated up to 85 hp, but several people have put a 90 hp 2stroke on and been very happy. I have a 90 hp e-tec sitting in my garage waiting to go on my malahini. Maybe in Cali you can't use a 2 stroke, then the 4 stroke 90's seem a little heavy. Also, the malahini can't be stretched. It is a stretched version of another boat (maybe the zip).
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:03 am

Another boat you could consider might be the Roustabout. It has an open cockpit design with HP ranges to 135hp or using an I/O setup. It has an interesting transom design that a really nice swim platform can be worked into both sides of the motor. Very classic looks and very roomy for all water sports and activities. Look at the archive photos and the catalog photos. This boat is 17' by design and could be stretched a little more.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:05 am

Welcome aboard! Here is the best place to ask/see/show boat stuff. I highly recommend getting Glen-L's reading materials, especially Boatbuilding With Plywood, the Boatbuilder's Notebook (and Inboard Motor Installations if your looking at inboard designs). These are very helpful when planning your project and figuring out your build.
Dr. BryanJ is correct about the Malahini, it is a stretched version of the Ski Tow and not recommended for another 10% stretch. If that doesn't seem a good fit for you, here are LOTS of other designs to choose from.
Good luck and have fun!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

jon3831

Postby jon3831 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:50 pm

Well, I've got The Boatbuilder's Notebook and the Inboard installation book on order.

I completely dropped the ball on the Malahini stretch. I guess I was looking at so many designs, the 10% got stuck in my head. Good think I had someone to talk me out of it, but the conversation's led some interesting places. At first, I wasn't convinced by the Roustabout, but it's starting to grow on me. I'm thinking about different cockpit styles on a Roustabout now.

Thanks to all for the feedback, and I still have lots of reading to do.

1969Jet

Postby 1969Jet » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi There

The Roustabout is a good build, I run one with a 350HP 383 Stroker with a Jacuzzi WJ jet, might be overkill on the HP but been running that way since 1969. Wonderful boat rides great, great for skiing behind etc.

Joe

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Welcome to the forum! At 6'3" you'll probably want something with a little more freeboard than the Malahini.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”