Hello and a ignorant (sort of) question

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

bradfnp

Hello and a ignorant (sort of) question

Postby bradfnp » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Hello All
I just joined the forum after ordering a Glen-L catalog.
After building a homebuilt airplane, the itch to build again has started, but this time, my wife wants to play along-Hence the catalog.

I have come across a Glen-L 19' Riviera boat kit that has been started. it looks like the first layer of plywood is on the bottom of the hull and the stringers have been started but nothing else. the price is reasonable but my concern is my lack of boatbuilding experience.

Is this particular build something a first time builder can complete? I think I'm relatively handy with tools, like I said I finished a homebuilt plane, but boats are a whole new realm for me, and I don't want to jump in completely over my head with an "advanced builder" project.

your thoughts would be appreciated

Brad Cohen
Tampa

Bill Edmundson

Re: Hello and a ignorant (sort of) question

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm

Brad

Sorry that no one has jumped in on this. YES, you can do it! We'll be here all the way. Look at my Tahoe link below. It will pretty much walk you through the whole build! Have fun and post pictures!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Going from homebuilt airplane to boat or vice versa is a natural progression (or regression :lol: ). Like Bill said, lots of help here and do post pics.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

TomB

Postby TomB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:38 pm

Brad,

The only thing you really, really need is the itch. Everything else will take care of itself. Be sure you get the drawings and instructions with boat kit as there is still plenty to do.

Tom

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”