Introduction

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

860Mike

Introduction

Postby 860Mike » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 pm

I'm Mike from Brooklyn, CT. I have restored three boats; a Cal 28, an ODay trailerable, and a J-27. Now I am building a 14' fast skiff from Bateau. I don't know why I put myself through the headaches and the heartaches. I guess its just something I enjoy doing. I'm pretty knowledgeable about techniques and products but far from pro. Most of what I have learned came through trial and error and through help from good friends.

JoeM

Re: Introduction

Postby JoeM » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:33 pm

Welcome! I had not heard of Bateau until now.
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

860Mike

Postby 860Mike » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:00 pm

I found their site along with many others on line. I'm 52 and I thought I had had enough with boats until last summer. One of our favorite places to "hang out" during the summer is Quonnachontaug, RI. It's where we fish, swim, clam, and just be by the ocean. Anyway, its become overrun with people from NJ and NY that were seeking bargain prices on summer homes. What used to be clear access to the salt marshes and the ponds have become privatized or access is by membership only. The only access to the best places is now by boat. So, I settled on the size boat i wanted and found the 14' Fast Skiff. I'm almost done and it's coming out fairly well. I should have bought stock in 3M before I started my build though...that and West Systems products. Oh, and now in Awlgrip.

I have to share that I LOVE Awlgrip's varnish.It is beautiful to work with (smooth), it dries relatively quick (less dust bubbles), and it looks incredible. I used it on the rub. First I coated the wood with 3 coats of West epoxy, with the clear hardener, followed by three coats of the varnish. I'm impressed!

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:31 am

Welcome Mike. Sorry about you being crowded out by the human masses. Please post some pictures of your build. And yes, MMM has an amazing research and development engineers.

Capt UB

Postby Capt UB » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:49 am

Hows your build going? Building the same FS14..
Attachments
58.jpg

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”