Bo Jest renovation in Sydney

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

DaveS

Bo Jest renovation in Sydney

Postby DaveS » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:55 pm

My name is David Stuart - I live in Adelaide, South Australia. Recently I purchased a Bo Jest which was built in Australia by Peter Tonkin - launched in September 2009. My daughter lives near Wisemans Ferry on the Hawkesbury River North of Sydney and I have the boat at her place and have started the renovation process. She is in a very sad state and I would appreciate any advice re her renovation - I am particularly concerned about the decking in the front half of the boat as it has lifted quite badly. She has a Nanni Diesel (21hp) fitted which was under water (fresh) when I purchased her
Attachments
5AFCC20E-3BF2-4B89-9FFE-F2CC4F7D988A.jpeg
Bo Jest built 2009

chugalug

Re: Bo Jest renovation in Sydney

Postby chugalug » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:56 am

That's too bad about your project.Do you have pic of problem decking?I've been building my Bo for a few years now and since I didn't use marine ply,I epoxied everything inside and out with Cpes and epoxy shield.I got the Cpes from the "Rot Doctor" out of Seattle,Wash.That site might give you more ideas on what to do.maybe ventalation or lack of it caused your problem.I've talked (e-mail) to Tom Smitherman about his Bo-jest and his problem with rot on bulwarks.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:52 pm

was just looking at original build of your boat;Is the top peeling back or the whole deck?Maybe it's just the planks that are warping. :roll:How's the hull?Why was the motor underwater?hull has hole ?or thru-hull fitting or cooling hoses leak?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Dave

The Bo Jest spec. shows 10 HP. You may just want to look for a smaller engine. The Yanmar 1GM is a great little diesel. Westerbeck has a pretty good engine in that range also. Both were used in many sailboats in the mid 20's range.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DaveS

Postby DaveS » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:12 pm

Thank you for your replies and interest - yes the decking appears to have lifted off the sub structure which according to original build details was structural ply not marine ply - the original pic of the boat only shows 3 scuppers on each side and I note she now has 9 on each side so getting rid of the water must have been an issue. The motor was under water because she was left in an open field and the hull filled with rain water - there does not appear to be a drain plug and of course any pump was not working - a good thing from that was the hull does not leak !!!! The build plate says it is a 21 hp Nanni but I am yet to confirm that as trying to find someone to get her running again - if that’s possible

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:42 am

:D Thanks for the answer.I wasn't planning on installing drain plug either as lowest point in hull is for'ward.I'm trying to make it so rainwater won't be a problem, but don't know if it's foolproof.you might have a problem in the future too with that.do you have a tru-hull fitting?maybe for engine cooling intake?maybe hook up some kind of fitting so it does double duty-water intake as well as drain on trailer.I'm using a small outboard motor on mine,so won't have motor submersion problems.

DaveS

Postby DaveS » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks Chugalug - where are you building your Bo Jest?
Does anyone in this forum know Peter Tonkin who built the BobJest I purchased in 2009 - probably built in Sydney area - I would love to contact him

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:48 pm

You can try the Project registry http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/projectreg-b/ Looks like he is listed. Not sure if email is good still so I won't post it here. But you can check it out there.

The customer photos archive of it as well. http://www.glen-l.com/picboards/picboard16/pic855a.html
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:24 am

:D I've been building off and on for the last 4 years in a boat shed/shop I have up here.my build is on power boats in the forum .you might have to go back a few pages. :D

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”