New Member here in MN

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Steve-o

New Member here in MN

Postby Steve-o » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:12 am

Hey guys, I am a long time lurker. I have learned a ton from all the post on here but now I have gotten to a point in my build where i need to start asking questions. Everyone on here seems super helpful, I am really looking forward to completing my first boat build.

Here is where i am at right now with my sons Pee Wee

Thanks for looking.
-Steve

JoeM

Re: New Member here in MN

Postby JoeM » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:52 am

Welcome! Nicely done, I look forward to following along.
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:12 am

That looks great!
One suggestion, not a critique but a heads up to avoid later headaches: Where your chines meet the stem, they are a little bit too close to the leading edge. The outer surface of the chines should line up with the center of the stem's edge. When you begin fairing the stem the edge will have a vee shape and the outer surface of the chines should be flush with that vee. A picture is worth a thousand words:
http://www.glen-l.com/methods/plywood/mthdpw03.html

Another suggestion is to put some twist in the chines at the stem so the top and bottom corners of the chines line up with the center of the stem. That will help reduce fairing of the chines to meet the plywood sides.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Steve-o

Postby Steve-o » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:09 am

PeterG wrote:That looks great!
One suggestion, not a critique but a heads up to avoid later headaches: Where your chines meet the stem, they are a little bit too close to the leading edge. The outer surface of the chines should line up with the center of the stem's edge. When you begin fairing the stem the edge will have a vee shape and the outer surface of the chines should be flush with that vee. A picture is worth a thousand words:
http://www.glen-l.com/methods/plywood/mthdpw03.html

Another suggestion is to put some twist in the chines at the stem so the top and bottom corners of the chines line up with the center of the stem. That will help reduce fairing of the chines to meet the plywood sides.

Thanks for the suggestions, as I am completly new at this, having input from people who have done this is great. I really struggled with getting those bent well. I broke a few after I soaked and steamed them. All of this is a ton of fun though. SO much good information on here.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”