Greetings from the Boston Marathon start!

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Shelboss

Greetings from the Boston Marathon start!

Postby Shelboss » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:43 am

I am a 63 old mechanical engineer that build a Glen-L Tiny Titan with my Dad back in 1967. I then got into cars and motorcycles once I got my license. Just finished building a Cobra replica last year, need another project, and wanted to get back to the boat I miss so much! But I need something more comfortable than an 8 foot hydroplane, so I started looking at restoring a Chris Craft Barracuda. My friend on the lake where I had my hydro had one with a 50 hp Merc that I always loved. These boats are not very available and weren't necessarily built the way I want it, but in searching plywood runabouts I came across some of the wonderful Zip's that have been built! And unlike 1967, resources like this forum really allow me to learn from your experiences, and pass on my own thoughts and experiences. I have plans in hand and have scaled the templates and modeled them in CAD. I then modified the transom and #2 frame to incorporate a long shaft motor into the design, I am picking up the 1-1 plots today. But more on that later, thanks for being there for me team Zip!
Art

JoeM

Re: Greetings from the Boston Marathon start!

Postby JoeM » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:35 am

I'm not part of "Team Zip" (Awesome group name, you should get shirts made! :lol: ), but want to welcome you to this community!

Sounds like a great project and I look forward to following along!
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:17 am

Welcome to the Glen-L community! Some things to consider: Ask any and all questions you may have because someone here has probably been there, done that and got the T-shirt; Post pics of your project and most importantly, have fun! There are lots of projects in the builder's blogs and photo archive too, a rich trove of information. Check out JoshuaB's Zip project videos on Youtube, very helpful.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:43 am

Welcome aboard!! The Zip is a great project and much can be done to personalize it. Post Pictures.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:36 am

Art

Welcome from a retired 64 year old CIVIL Engineer. A marathoner should understand the idea of building a boat. It takes a while and there are ups and downs along the way. We'll be here along the way.

What kind of work did you do? I was involved with the designing, building, and maintaining of power plants.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Shelboss

Postby Shelboss » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Thanks for the encouragement all! I worked in the computer industry for years, then a design for hire house where we design everything and anything. Still working there part time but I have time to start the build. I am used to long term projects, so not a problem. I enjoy the design and build phases :D

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”