10' IMP

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mitch43

10' IMP

Postby mitch43 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Hello everyone, my name is William Mitchell and I'm located in the Dallas Fort Worth, Texas area. I have some experience in wood working and have made some small wood projects. The IMP 10' row boat is my first attempt to build a boat. I started my 10' IMP project about three years ago and do to other projects such remodeling my house, and running into a problem installing the chime log, I had put the project on the do it later shelf. Now that I have caught up with my other projects, I would like to complete the IMP project. The problem is, I'm still not sure how to steam and bend the chime log into place.

Is there any one that has built an IMP that is willing to share their experience with me.

JoeM

Re: 10' IMP

Postby JoeM » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Welcome! What kind of wood are you using? And i'm not familiar with the plans, how thick are the members you need to bend?

I have not built a boat yet, but I THINK I know the questions to ask for the real experts to chime in. I do have some woodworking knowledge like you as well.
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Mitch, I built an IMP in 2013 - 2015 (yes, life got in the way sometimes). Getting the chines right was the biggest challenge I had during the build. I had at least one chine snap on me overnight (fine when I shut things down in the garage for the night, snapped by next morning).

Could you say l bit more about the problem you're experiencing?

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:12 pm

I am not familiar with the IMP but chines can be a bother to bend and twist into place, even the bigger hulls can have problems. There are a couple options, you could soften them with steam or wrap them with towels and pour boiling water on them. The other option would be laminating them. Basically glue up thinner layers to make the chines in place. Laminated chines can be stronger than single piece ones and won't snap when installed.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:09 pm

Agreed, laminate them. Instead of bending one thick piece bend two thinner pieces that will make up the same end thickness.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”