New Member in South Dakota

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

timinsd

New Member in South Dakota

Postby timinsd » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:21 pm

New member in western South Dakota. Bought plans for a Malahini but am now considering a Barrelback 19. Have been reading Glenn Witt's "Boatbuilding with plywood" and really am enjoying the reading. When I get confused (often) I set the book down and then start the chapter over again and it seems to come together. No building experience except building a tiny one sheet skiff, not for practical but for practice.

Will a 4.3L fit easily into a 19 Barrelback?

Tim

JoeM

Re: New Member in South Dakota

Postby JoeM » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:19 pm

Welcome! There are quite a few Malahini and Barrelback builders (completed and in progress) on these forums. I look forward to following along no matter what you decide.

Check out the Power Boat and Hankinson sections on the forum to find other builds of both designs. Will be lots more information and ideas for you to look at and if I recall one of those has the answer to your engine size question. Just don't remember which one as there are quite a few great builds in progress.
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:00 pm

You have a great start already by studying the Boatbuilding with Plywood book. The Barrelback is a great design and a 4.3L V6 is a perfect choice. That was my first choice of boat and engine for my first build. I changed my mind though to the Malahini as a better fit for me. The Barrelback uses a slightly different construction, instead of plywood it is cold molded. You build up the hull planking in layers. More involved, but not much more difficult than plywood. I suggest reading up on it, Glen L has a great book. I also suggest getting the Glen L Inboard Installation book. I also recommend David Gerr's Propeller Handbook. Though more technical, it gives great info for matching the engine and boat and prop. Always feel free to ask questions here, somebody will help. Post photos and remember to have fun!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

timinsd

Postby timinsd » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:21 am

Thanks for the responses. Re-reading my post I see I misspelled Glen. Exposing my talents already.

If I order the Barrelback plans I will get the cold molding and inboard book for sure. The forums have covered propellers pretty well but that probably would not hurt either.

Thanks again.
Tim

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:27 am

Tim

Look at my link below. It will step you through the cold mold process.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Postby TomB » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:55 am

Tim,

Welcome. I started with Malahini and switched to the Barrelback stretched to 20'...I was ready to order lumber and we moved! Now I'm building a Tahoe 23. Deciding which of these great boats to build may be the toughest part of the build. Please keep us posted.

Tom

timinsd

Postby timinsd » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:17 am

Bill,
Thanks for the link. When dry fitting the outside layer, how do you hold it in place? Small screws?

Thanks.

Tim

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:38 am

Hi Tim,
I believe that the barrelback plans that we have were designed with the 4.3 engine in mind. I haven't installed mine yet, but I can see that it will fit.
Some people put a 5.7 engine into the barrelback, but there can be problems as the engine is longer than the 4.3 engine. Top safe speed on the barrelback is 40mph according to the plans, so you don't want to overpower your boat.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”