Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Redhawk

Post by Redhawk » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:51 am

Hi,

My name is Mike and I will be retiring in about five months. I'm retiring to a resort community with several 400 to 900 acre lakes. I am new to boat building. My previous skill set includes basic carpentry such as framing, window installation and deck building. I am drawn to the beauty of classic mahogany runabouts. I'm looking forward to spending several hours per day working on a build project. I'm open to suggestions about how to get started threw reading, emailing and internet searches. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Mike Robinson

Corning, Iowa

Bill Edmundson

Re: New Member

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:45 pm

Mike

Welcome! You can do this. All the mahoganies are pretty much built the same way. Look at my link below. It is pretty much a step-by-step. Many builds have been better than this. But, this does work as a how-to.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

JoeM

Post by JoeM » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:59 pm

Welcome Mike! And Congratulations on your soon to be retirement! That resort community sounds pretty great.

I would purchase a few books from Glen-L to get you started. Boatbuilding with Plywood, Inboard Motor Installation, and the New Cold-molded Boat Building. I personally didn't purchase the cold-molded book as I already have a design in mind(the True Grit) and cold molded was not needed. I also purchased the Boatbuilders workbook so I can have a reference book on hand while building.

Getting the Propeller Handbook by David Gerr is commonly suggested as well.

As far as picking a design, it sounds like you have a pretty good idea of basically what you want. There are a number of mahogany runabouts that are able to be built. There are also a number of build threads currently in progress in various forum sections, just look around. Bill's build is a great one to check out.

Do you have a preference on Inboard or Outboard motor?
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:01 am

Welcome, Redhawk!

It sounds like your skill set has all of the basics to get into boat building.

+1 on the Glen L books noted above. The books are a great place to start, and there are many build threads of all types here on this site. There is a good chance any question you'll have has been answered here, but if not there are always builders checking in to help out.

Just remember it is your boat, and a lot of the decisions on building it will depend on your skills, build space, and tools.

Happy retirement!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:29 am

I live just up the road from you in Colfax Iowa so if you would like to stop in sometime and see my True Grit boat and talk boat building, just send me a private message. My True Grit is a totally different boat than what you are thinking about building, but some of the build processes are similar.

Curt

Redhawk

Post by Redhawk » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:48 am

Wow Thanks for all the responses! I'm looking forward to this process! I'll stay in touch.

Mike R.

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Hey Mike,

I'm in the Quad Cities and just in the planning stages myself, I have a set of plans and a used engine but a long list of other priorities before I can start. Maybe in another year? Perhaps you'll be going before I do!
LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of Buffalo Bill and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

jenko

Post by jenko » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:44 pm

Welcome Mike :D

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”