Hello from Northern Europe

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

TonyH

Hello from Northern Europe

Postby TonyH » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:13 am

Hi everybody,

I am Tony, 49 and I like boats among other things ;)

I've always lived or had a summer home close to sea so boats, canoes, surf boards etc. have been a part of my life. And I've always liked to make things with my hands. When I was 13 I made a wind surfing board, since that I have making/modifying something for hobby. I seem to need something to do or it feels weird.

First time I was considering building a boat was about 10 years ago, I even bought a bunch of books on the subject and did research the subject with great enthusiasm. Then something else (new wife, new business, new vintage car) took my time and I postponed it until now.

So, with new zeal I am currently researching about building a Glen-L Barrelback. I already received the study plans and things look good and perfectly doable to me. I think I have most of the tools necessary but I don't have a place to build it yet, so that is the main problem to solve before I can start doing anything actual about this. I infact do have space suitable for building but my other hobbies occupy it so I need to figure out if I need a new space for the boat or for the other things.

Lots of things to think and plan but I hope to get there (ie. cutting wood) some day soon.

Have a nice year 2018!

Tony from the freezing/wet north...

DSR

Re: Hello from Northern Europe

Postby DSR » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:23 am

Hi Tony, welcome to the club!

The Barrelback really is a classicly beautiful boat. Congratulations.

....and I know exactly what you mean about shuffling the other hobbies around to make room as I have the same issues with cars and other toys getting in the way.... :lol:

Take lots of pictures and keep us posted! :D

Thanks Tony,
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Jimbob

Re: Hello from Northern Europe

Postby Jimbob » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:24 am

Welcome Tony!
The Barrelback is a Classic. One thing that I found is that the plans are a pretty good representation of the original Chris Craft barrelbacks.
Ask questions, we are all here to help.

Here's a link with lots of pictures of classic boats.
http://www.classicboat.com/

Have fun and keep us posted.

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”