New Jet Squirt Builder. Thanks for all your future help!

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mattmays

New Jet Squirt Builder. Thanks for all your future help!

Postby mattmays » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:21 pm

I do have one quick question....I only have 7' of room (width) to build this boat. I have plenty of space going the long way. Will I have enough room to build my Squirt? The Beam distance says 4'4", but is the Beam the widest part of the boat, or the widest part of the boat at the water line? Just planning ahead. Thanks again for all your help. Matt

Bill Edmundson

Re: New Jet Squirt Builder. Thanks for all your future help!

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:30 am

Matt

The beam is widest part of the boat. It is at the side/deck intersection (shear). On most boats it is at the frame that the helm is mounted to. Seven feet will be tight. But, it can be done.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:40 am

At 7', it only leaves you about 18" on each side which should be enough for framing and skinning it. I would plan on making the building form movable once the plywood is on, because you will spend some time glassing and sanding and the extra space will help. You also, might need more space when fairing. I really liked the fact that my building form was bolted to the floor when bending the sheers, chines, and plywood. Maybe you can brace your form to the walls when you need to lean on it, and be able to shift it port or starboard?

Also depending on your age, make the building form higher than what the plans call for! :D

Good luck, and post photos.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

TomB

Postby TomB » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:23 am

I would want more than 18" on a side to work. I would run cross rails below the build form from wall to wall and get them level and then slide the form from side to side and anchor to the rails while working.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”