Jet Drive Limits??? Could I actually power 23' boat?

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mattmays

Jet Drive Limits??? Could I actually power 23' boat?

Postby mattmays » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Hello-
Just a quick question....What would limit me from sticking a 300+ HP jet drive engine in a, for example, 23' Tahoe? They make some pretty powerful engines now. Looking for some insight. Thanks.

DSR

Re: Jet Drive Limits??? Could I actually power 23' boat?

Postby DSR » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:23 am

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum!

You could put a 300hp jet ski powertrain in a 23' boat, but you'd be pretty disappointed with the performance, along with going through a lot of gas.

The limiting factor is the jet pump that the skis use. It basically boils down to moving enough mass (water mass through the pump in this case) to move mass (boat weight and water drag). The jet ski pumps are sized to move enough water mass to drive a ski that is 8-11' long and 1000 lbs or less, and they do it pretty efficiently based on the performance and fuel efficiency of the skis. To put one in a 23' Tahoe would be pretty much using the wrong tool for the job. Also a big reason that the full-size jet boats, such as Sea-Doo and the other PWC manufacturers market, end up with less than stellar performance and fuel economy, in my opinion.

I've had thoughts regarding a very similar setup and I think to do it correctly would be to use a full-sized pump, such as American Turbine, Hamilton or Scotts pump, paired with the correct engine with enough torque to drive the pump at the required rpm (small block Chevy as an example). That would move more than enough water mass to drive the hull forward without overworking the powertrain to do it.

I hope that helps Matt :D

Thanks,
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

kens

Postby kens » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:12 am

mattmays wrote:Hello-
Just a quick question....What would limit me from sticking a 300+ HP jet drive engine in a, for example, 23' Tahoe? They make some pretty powerful engines now. Looking for some insight. Thanks.

what would limit you from that?.......money and aggravation.
jets are pricey, and it sits right on top of the keel. you would have to cut away the keel for the intake,

http://www.hamiltonjet.com/global/hj-series
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

mattmays

Postby mattmays » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:56 am

I'm convinced it's a bad idea.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”