New Member in Arkansas

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

1800S

New Member in Arkansas

Postby 1800S » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Just introducing myself. Never built a boat. Mainly I've been restoring old Volvo's. I live on Greers Ferry lake and I am currently without a boat. Need something light enough to be pulled by a vintage Volvo with a 4 cylinder engine. Haven't started on a project yet starting to look at designs. I do have an old volvo b20 marine engine in my garage thinking about a smaller inboard with a 1960's Volvo pushrod engine. Any recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks

vupilot

Re: New Member in Arkansas

Postby vupilot » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Welcome,

Maybe a Tiny Might, or a Ski-King.

1800S

Postby 1800S » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:33 pm

I have been looking at the Ski king. I also have access to an old jetski and was kicking around the idea of building a Dyno jet to get some experience before tackling a larger boat. Does that make sense?

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:47 am

I'm a big advocate of just building the boat you eventually want instead of doing one for practice. Now that has limitations of course. There are some boats that are quite a bit more advanced construction wise. Although there are always exceptions to that rule. Even a smaller boat could take years to build and if it's not really what you want in the end you might easily lose interest. The ski-king should be accessible for a first time builder. It's a popular proven design. I learned from Gayle a couple of years ago at the Gathering that it was Glen's personal boat that he used for many years because he loved waterskiing. I don't know what kind of power your B20 makes but the Ski-King doesn't take much power as you can see from the catalog.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:55 am

I agree, no need for a small practice boat. Squirt, Zip, Malahini, Geronimo.....they’re all the same construction. That said, not sure I would have been successful with a cold molded boat my 1st build.
Ski King would perform well with a 100hp 4 cylinder engine. Keeping with the build big theme, I would stretch the design the allowed 10%.
Good to have you on the forum.
Matt B

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”