New member from Pennsylvania

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Jonlax

New member from Pennsylvania

Postby Jonlax » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Would like to introduce myself. I'm currently new to boat building but hold a lot of knowledge that I hope would help me with a proper build. I'm a full time master ASE/GM technician and part time "unplugged" furniture carpenter that does dabble in power tools from time to time.

As of right now I have only owned 1 boat which was a fiberglass Chris craft that I sold about 6 years ago. I would love to have another but fiberglass doesn't fit my taste and wooden boats that are finished are out of my immediate budget due to either needing full rebuilds and a high price tag.

What I am after is plans for a run about that I can deck and build with the beautiful wood I regularly purchase and mill. Can be built to accept an I/O power train and be under 20 feet, 18 to 20 being ideal. I have a lot of great waterways around me and would go into brackish water from time to time but the boat wouldn't sit in the water after use.

Thanks and I look forward to learning and building.

hoodman

Re: New member from Pennsylvania

Postby hoodman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:13 am

The Roustabout comes to mind as an io design in that size range. You'd have more options if you opened it up to v-drives and mid mounted inboards. Being a mechanic you should easily be able to figure out any of those options. The modern io drives have gained a lot of weight since these boats were designed.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:19 am

Jonlax

Welcome. Just to save Neel Thompson time :) , Where in PA?

http://www.boatdesigns.com/17-Roustabou ... ducts/253/

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jonlax

Postby Jonlax » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:Jonlax

Welcome. Just to save Neel Thompson time :) , Where in PA?

http://www.boatdesigns.com/17-Roustabou ... ducts/253/

Bill

Bill, currently reside in central bucks county around Doylestown.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Jon

Please, add your location to your profile. It will help you!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:46 am

Welcome aboard Jon...... I live in Montgomery County near Skippack. I have my Gentry in my garage and have started another inboard build. You are more than welcome to come over to the house if you like. We can talk boats/boat building. I am in Florida now and will be returning to PA on 3/3, so if you would like to get together, let me know. Neel

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”