Researching building the Hercules

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

jlynker

Researching building the Hercules

Post by jlynker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Hello Glen-L builders/owners! So many great posts here!

I currently have a sailboat (for sale, btw), a Downeast 32' which is a great offshore cruising boat. However, I'm starting to wind down for retirement and figure a Trailer-able Trawler is just what the Life Coach prescribed! (or would, if I actually had a life coach...). Besides, I have a small wood shop in my garage and have run out of projects to build!

I'll have a lot of questions about the Hercules build as time goes on, but to start, if there's anyone within 25,000 nautical miles of Everett, WA who has built a Hercules and you want to observe a novice Hercules builder make all the same mistakes you made (only better!) reach out and give me a ping!

Looking forward to chitting and chatting... and sawing, hammering, screwing, wrenching, painting,...

Thanks,
John

Bill Edmundson

Re: Researching building the Hercules

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:39 pm

John

Welcome! You have good taste in boats. The Downeast is a nice boat. There was one behind our condo. After hurricane Ivan, I think they scudded it for insurance. I still wanted it. We had a Herc. come by the Gathering the year before last. Nice boat!

We're here for the questions. There are other builders out your way.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jlynker

Post by jlynker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks Bill!... My Downeast survived hurricane Alicia in Galveston 1983... Downeasts are best kept in the water and not behind a condo! :)

What kind of motor did your Herc have and what are your comments about it? I'm interested in fuel economy, but Puget Sound has some pretty good winds and currents. Plus, I'm not sure which motors will fit as I have yet to purchase the Plans and Patterns for the Herc.

What was your Herc's name?
Did you build it?

John

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:59 pm

John

I don't have a Herc. Our condo is in a marina complex in Gulf Shores AL. The Downeast was in the water. One week after Ivan, the boat was afloat. The next time I went there. the boat was swamped.

I think the Herc. would be great with a 15 to 20hp diesel. It would probably do hull speed fine on 10hp. But, out there you might want some more power.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jlynker

Post by jlynker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Thanks Bill... Living next to a marina - you have good choice in Condo locations. Do you have a boat currently?

Surprising the Downeast swamped.. one of it's features is a very small cockpit with companionway threshold is above the deck line. Another great feature of the LaFiell OM3D mast is a 2nd extruded channel for a storm tri sail. Plus, being built in the late 70's, the fiberglass is very thick and where there is balsa core, it's also well laid up.

Are there active Herc members on this forum who are in the Puget Sound area that you know of? Can you introduce us?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:28 pm

John

We currently have a Tahoe 19 (20'-6"), and a Bartender 21 built at 24'. We had a Hunter 27. Our condo is a second home. It is right where the Intercostal Waterway (ICW) opens into Mobile Bay at Gulf Shores AL.

The Hercules is similar to the True Grit. I think there is a build in Oregon. But, there are a couple of TGs going right now. And several active forum members with them. You do have help here!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

graham mackay

Post by graham mackay » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Hi John,
I am just about complete with my build of a Hercules, I am a couple of hundred miles north of you in Heriot Bay, Quadra Island, off Campbell River BC.
I'd be more than happy to correspond with you should you go ahead with this project. I built mine more or less according to the plans but be aware that when it comes to the cockpit you are largely on your own. The plans at that point are largely generalisations rather than details. I noticed you had a question re motor - mine is a Mitsubishi four cylinder diesel rated at approx. 40hp.
Anyway fireaway with your questions, I will welcome to compare notes with a fellow builder.
Graham
I am presently constructing a Glen-L HERCULES, hull basically complete.Am going to fiberglass and paint bottom and then turn over. Sides to be planked with10mm yellow cedar edged bead and cove . Engine is Mitsubihi 4-cyl. 39 crankshaft hp.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”