New Zip from MN (and NW WI)

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

twier

New Zip from MN (and NW WI)

Postby twier » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:04 am

Well I've been lurking on the forum for sometime learning how to build a boat. Being only "half handy" at best I believe I would had thrown in the towel sometime ago without you folk's help. I'm not much of a blogger but I've included a few photos. I am building the the Zip in my Wisconsin guest cabin. Thirty-five years ago we included a low, hinged log wall to the quest cabin so my wife could store her then new 1984 MGB for the Winter. But alas, we had a cost overrun and the MGB had to be sold.......she cried.

So the log wall on hinges has never been opened. Given the weight of the logs getting the Zip out could be the mother of all battles.

I'm retired now so I have time and this project has given me something very interesting to do. I started last Fall and I'm now well into the fairing. Plenty of mistakes but I think I'm in OK shape.

I jumped the gun a little and bought a non working 58 Evinrude BigTwin. Many parts and paint later I got it running in the basement and nearly gassed myself trying to smooth it out. Once I can get outside (15 inches over the weekend) I hope to get it dialed in. I really don't want to take that thing apart again.

I won't be able to contribute much in the way of "how to" stuff but let me add this.Given this group's interest, if you do not know what a "cyclekart" is google it. And you can start ordering parts in the morning!!

IMG_0971.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

hoodman

Re: New Zip from MN (and NW WI)

Postby hoodman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:35 am

Looks like you've got a pretty good start! Don't be a stranger!

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Welcome! And nicely done, too. And what log home isn't complete until it has a yellow model float plane hanging from the overhead? Good luck and keep posting photos!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:25 pm

I won't be able to contribute much in the way of "how to" stuff but let me add this.Given this group's interest, if you do not know what a "cyclekart" is google it. And you can start ordering parts in the morning!!

Looks like to me you have a lot of tinkering experience and so I think you'll be able to add plenty in regards to "how to do stuff".

Your Zip build looks very well done. Congrats on your progress. Getting to the point of ready for hull planking is always a great milestone to reach.

Lastly, do I have to wait until the morning to start ordering my cyclekart parts; can't I just order them now. And if you have one, you do realize we're going to need to see some pictures and hear a little about it.

Welcome to the forum.

twier

Postby twier » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:34 pm

No, I do not have a cyclekart.......yet. I just ran across the concept last week. Looks like fun.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:44 am

:D This tool works really good for sticky log doors
IMG_1003[1].JPG
also works good for making doorholes period
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Did you use that to fair the Bo Jest, Chug? :lol:

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:09 pm

:D I did use it to help fair the stem-that was pretty thick.the 40 grit belt sander was too slow. :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:25 pm

The environmentally friendly way would be to employ a family of beavers.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”