New member from North Carolina - building the Imp

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

LilGuy

New member from North Carolina - building the Imp

Postby LilGuy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:05 am

New to the forum. I’m building the Imp and have found it to be a delightful project. All I have remaining to do is to sand, fiberglass and paint the hull. Anybody have any tips for fiberglassing the hull of a small boat? I’ve never done it. It doesn’t look too daunting on YouTube and the Glen-l directions seem pretty straightforward.

hoodman

Re: New member from North Carolina - building the Imp

Postby hoodman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:44 am

Welcome to the forum! Fiberglassing is intimidating but in the end it's really not that hard. A thin seal coat on the bare plywood is a good idea before you start. Having someone to help you mix up batches of epoxy would be helpful in warmer weather. I used the yellow plastic scrapers that are common from epoxy retailers to help force the epoxy down into the weave of the cloth. On subsequent coats, I used a roller and they went very quickly.

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:13 pm

When I built my Imp, I followed Glen-L's instructions for fiber glassing, and everything went pretty smoothly. The one thing I found I needed to watch out for was when applying epoxy to the sides of the boat. If you apply coats that are too thick, it can tend to sag, and leave wavy marks. The way I got around that was by using the thin foam rollers so that I didn't apply too thick a layer.

Glad you're enjoying the build. "Delightful" is about how I'd have described my experience too.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

LilGuy

Postby LilGuy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:19 am

Thanks for the tips. Once the outside temperature here is more consistently in the 70-80 range I’ll pull the fiberglass trigger.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:39 am

I did it in the dead of winter in North Carolina. I had all the pot life I could ask for. The warmer it is the less time you have to get each batch of epoxy down.

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:58 am

Before you glass your boat, give it a coat of epoxy and let it cure.
Glen L's Book describes two methods of applying fiberglass cloth. One is to wet down the surface with epoxy and then apply the cloth and then apply more epoxy. The other method is to put the cloth on the dry surface pour on the epoxy to saturate, and use a spreader to even it out.
I used the later dry method because you can position, and tape down the cloth before you add epoxy. I did one half of the boat at a time, overlapping the cloth at the keel. You can get fiberglass tape to use at the chine and keel for extra protection. I would suggest slow cure epoxy because you will want plenty of working time. You can also put you epoxy on ice to give you more working time. Once the epoxy starts to set but before it gets too hard, trim the excess cloth with a razor knife.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”