Tampa Fl, Checking In.

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

The_Dave

Tampa Fl, Checking In.

Postby The_Dave » Sat May 26, 2018 6:19 am

Good Morning everyone,

Still in the design phase. Actually still have not locked down what plans I want to go with. Want something like a deep vee runabout to cruise in the bay, but want an i/o drives so i can pull up on the beach. Lots to deiced. If anyone here is in the area that has built something like im thinking please let me know.
The Dave

Bill Edmundson

Re: Tampa Fl, Checking In.

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat May 26, 2018 6:41 am

Dave

I don't know how big you want to go. But, the Roustabout comes to mind.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

The_Dave

Postby The_Dave » Sat May 26, 2018 6:56 am

I like the Roustabout, just a little small for what I am after.

I was looking at the malahini, but really wanted at least 20 feet and i/o. I also wanted something that could handle Tampa bay and some skiing.

I then started looking at the Glen L 22' party boat - deep v open bow. But am still hesitant because it was not what I originally wanted to build. Something with that beautiful Chris Craft or Riva look.

I was pointed to the Vee-Gull thinking I might be able to modify everything above the waterline to give it the classic look. Shout out to BayouBengal for doing something very similar already.

This will be my first build and I feel confident with my ability, but don't want to ruin the integrity of the haul structure, strength, or hydrodynamics.
The Dave

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat May 26, 2018 7:43 am

The roustabout starts at 17' and can be stretched 10%. That would get you close to 19 feet.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat May 26, 2018 8:22 am

The Vee Gull is 20'-2" with an 8'-0" beam. Good freeboard. You could do a more standard deck and a Mahogany veneer.

It took me a second to pick up on the bay use. I keep my boats just off Mobile Bay. I know when it starts getting rough that all trailerable boats become the same size. TOO SMALL.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat May 26, 2018 8:57 am

Check out the Renegade. Several variants in the archive photos show it as an OB, I/O, or jet pump. Much can be done to personalize it.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

The_Dave

Postby The_Dave » Mon May 28, 2018 4:37 am

Roberta wrote:Check out the Renegade. Several variants in the archive photos show it as an OB, I/O, or jet pump. Much can be done to personalize it.

Roberta

Do you think the Renegade could be modified to have an open bow? or would that jeopardize the integrity to the hull?
The Dave

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon May 28, 2018 6:46 am

Look in the archive photos. I think there is a Renegade with an open bow.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon May 28, 2018 8:46 am

I'd actually ordered the Renegade plans when I began envisioning my build and examined it thoroughly in regards to what I wanted to build. There's a couple of problems with it.
1) Freeboard will have to be added throughout for both appearance and engine clearance, but this might not be too hard.
2) The bow is described as "rackish" by Glen-L. If you're trying to get the Chris Craft look; "rakish", is not it. So, the bow will have to be modified greatly and I think that is a very tall task for most anyone.

I studied the Glen-L designs pretty closely and really think the two best designs to do something similar to what I did are the VeeGull and KeyWest. I chose the non Glen-L Clarkcraft Mariner hull design that I did instead of the VeeGull because garage restrictions kept me from building a boat with a beam greater than 8 feet and I didn't want to build a boat as long as the KeyWest.

All three of these designs have a rigid shear shelf forward as opposed to a bent around shear. I'm not positive, but I think this is what allows the flared bow that each of these boats have. I'm also pretty sure this is why lengthening or shortening the design is also prohibited for each of these boats. Knowing that the shear shelf is rigid, I think you could make any of these boats open bow, but the amount of horizontal support that you'd need to add to the forward frames may cause you to have a slight step-up walking into the bow.

There's issues with the Clarkcraft Mariner hull design that would make it impossible to build if you didn't have some understanding of wooden boat construction and other issues with the design that are simply not well thought out. If I had my choice between using the VeeGull plans or the Clarkcraft Mariner plans, I'd probably go with the VeeGull because I'd have more faith in Mr. Witt to provide better plans, particularly if I were a first time builder. But there are a couple advantages of the Clarkcraft Mariner with one being that I think it has a slightly more curved and attractive stem, and secondly, while both boats are 16 degree deadrise, the Clarkcraft is a soft chine oval bottom instead of a Vee which could help some in chop. But with that said, I've had my boat out in Lake Maurepas (a large lake); and so I'm with Bill, when it starts getting rough, "all the trailered boats are too small."

IBrew2Be (Barry) and JohnAmundson's son (don't remember his name) both discussed ideas with me at the last Gathering to do something similar as I with the Roustabout design. I think that should work; but with less length and probably an inboard four instead of the six. I'm interested to hear of their progress.

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Tue May 29, 2018 7:00 pm

Jeff, I've made some progress coming to decisions about what I want to do, but don't expect to begin my build until late fall 2018 or early winter 2019.

I do plan to build a Roustabout, stretched to ~18 1/2 feet. That's about all the boat I can comfortably fit into the space I have available in the garage, and I do like the amount of V that the hull has. After giving it a lot of thought, I've decided to build the boat as designed, and not modify the transom area above the waterline to introduce some tumblehome. That is a mainly pragmatic decision. Modifying the design would inevitably stretch out the time to get to a completed boat, and I expect it's going to take me long enough to complete my build as it is.

Continuing on the theme of keeping things simple, I'm thinking outboard power, likely something on the order of 115 hp.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed May 30, 2018 4:08 am

Nothing wrong with that, Barry, The Roustabout is great looking boat as designed and the outboard will leave you quite a bit more space inside. Thanks for the update.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”