New Member - Walter from League City TX

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

wnhansen

New Member - Walter from League City TX

Post by wnhansen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:46 pm

I just received my plans for the Malahini and expect to spend the next several weeks reading, familiarizing myself with the plans and listing the many questions I expect to have. I would love to hear from any Malahini builders who may want to share their knowledge and expertise.
Patience, persistence, perseverance, and perfect practice may not result in perfection, but it's essential in striving for excellence.

JimmY

Re: New Member - Walter from League City TX

Post by JimmY » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:31 am

Welcome, I hear a lot of good things about that design.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:59 am

wnhansen

Welcome.

The Malahini is basically a stretched Zip. Most of the frame built boats are built the same. So, ask way.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:41 am

Welcome to the forum Walter. There are several of us builders here in Texas, some north, some in your area, and some of us in central Texas.

Feel free to ask away. When you get started please post photos so we can follow along and keep you going.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:30 am

wnhansen:

Welcome to the forum. There are several malahini builders on the forum that can answer your questions. I will help when I can, but even though I've been at it for 5 yrs+, I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing. :oops: :oops:
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:37 am

Malahini is a great boat to build and on the water. Fastest and most enjoyable way to build a boat is.....one day at a time. Did you get the plywood boat building book? It’s where you start reading.
Have fun, it will be a significant occomplishment in your life.
Matt B
Squirt...Malahini and 1/2 of a Barrelback so far.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:51 am

Motivational picture, this is Malahini running with fellow boat builders and friends at the Gathering, on Tennessee river.
Matt B
Attachments
AA9D7188-6A2D-42D6-80D6-B48C8CD40F86.jpeg
A7FC840C-8C15-492A-B9DD-16372B975C62.jpeg

wnhansen

Post by wnhansen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks for the enthusiastic reception. This will be my third and biggest boat build. The first was a 10' glued lapstrake sailing and rowing dingy, the second a 16' strip canoe.
I see in the plans that you are not supposed to stretch this design, but I just watched a video where the builder said he stretched it to 17'. I'd like to do that too if it is advisable. Any suggestions?
Second, I am totally unfamiliar with outboard motors. I was thinking of a Mercury 90 hp four-stroke, but at 359 pounds, it seems a bit heavy. Would a 90 hp two-stroke be a better choice? Maybe the better question is, "What size outboard motor do you recommend for this boat?"
Many thanks,
Walter
Patience, persistence, perseverance, and perfect practice may not result in perfection, but it's essential in striving for excellence.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:17 am

wnhansen: The Malahini is already stretched from another design. (I forget which boat) The frame spacing gets a little too far apart beyond 16'. As far as motors: Bob Bandenstein runs a new 4 stroke 70hp Yamaha on his Malahini and it runs nicely. Matt B and others have a 90hp evinrude e-tec 2 stroke. He felt it may be too much, but it is what I plan to use for mine. I think the mercury 4-stroke might be too heavy.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”