New Member from Georgia

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BillJ

New Member from Georgia

Postby BillJ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:02 pm

Hello! I have not yet selected a boat to build and impatient to do so. Looking forward to learning from as many of you as possible and hopefully soon will be sharing my own experiences. Thankfully I already have two wonderful lakes awaiting me, Lake Seminole in Georgia and Lake Martin in Alabama. Looking forward to hearing from as many of you as possible.

Roberta

Re: New Member from Georgia

Postby Roberta » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:30 am

Welcome aboard. You must come to our gathering in TN at Hales Bar Marina. You will get much inspiration and make friends with other builders.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

BillJ

Postby BillJ » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:17 am

Roberta, thanks for the reply! Yes I have already found the location on Google and plan on attending. Even considering buying and bringing something running for the event so I don't miss out on that part of the fun.

BillJ

Postby BillJ » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:46 am

Well I did mention already I was impatient so this should come as no surprise. At this time I am leaning heavily toward building the Celerity extended out to 16'. The more I learned of the deep hull design of this boat and utilitarian benefits, the more I like it. To be honest, I would not have even considered this boat until it recommended to me by someone very knowledgeable and the more I looked into it, the more I became impressed. So unless something changes soon, I'll be ordering plans.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:57 am

I actually considered the Celerity for a long time. Looks like a great design!

BillJ

Postby BillJ » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:21 pm

I agree Matt. She's not the most sexy design at first look but so many positive features.

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi Bill, and welcome aboard!

There was a guy in the Marietta area who was building a Celerity a while back. If he's still on the forum, perhaps he'll chime in with some feedback.

You should definitely come up to the Gathering in September. It's a great opportunity to experience riding in various boats that people have built... not to mention the inspiration & motivation you'll get! A deep V hull would definitely be nice in choppy water.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

BillJ

Postby BillJ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:00 am

Michael,

We are together on this...the guys name in Marietta with the Celerity is Jeff Price I believe. Unfortunately he's no longer a member. I've already reached out in the Misc. Section here for assistance in locating him. Some of his build is still in archives but not all. Appears he was doing a magnificent job so I definitely would love to catch up with him and get as much valuable information as possible. Especially as green as I am in boat building.
We also have similar minds on me attending the Gathering in September. I've even have gone so far as reserved one of the floater cabins. Why not get the full experience right? Can't wait !!!
Really appreciate your reply Michael and yes the Celerity was wisely suggested to me by Gayle due to its deep full length vee. During heavy traffic and or windy days, Lake Martin popular hot spots can get pretty choppy. Later this morning after I've had my coffee, I'll go ahead and order the plans and a t shirt!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:08 am

Order boatbuilding with plywood book if you are really serious. It's well worth the price.

BillJ

Postby BillJ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:44 am

Matt,

Thanks, I'll do it!

BillJ

BillJ

Postby BillJ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:19 am

Celerity plans, plywood book, and T shirt ordered :D

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:08 am

BillJ wrote:Celerity plans, plywood book, and T shirt ordered :D

Buying the book was a wise decision. I'd recommend reading it cover-to-cover before you get started. It's well-written, easy to read, and there is a LOT of wisdom in that book. Pay close attention... there are a lot of important details included in concise sentences that are easy to miss if speed-reading.

Looking forward to meeting you in September!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

BillJ

Postby BillJ » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:33 am

Mike,

VERY good advice, I understand what your telling me and I will follow it.

I'm definitely looking forward to September and getting to meeting you and everyone else who has invested talent, time, and money, into this craft.

BillJ

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”