Orange Peel due to CPES

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

rebillo

Orange Peel due to CPES

Post by rebillo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:44 am

Hello All.
I am building my first Glen-L boat. I chose the ZIP. It has been coming along quite well until I started applying coatings. As I loved the old Chris Craft look, I read this blog about the best way to use the Interstain CC Red. First I applied the Interstain CC Red on the sides and stern of the boat, but left the bottom bare. Then in accordance to the advice I received from you, I coated with 4 coats of CPES over the Interstain which went on smoothly and flowed out nicely. My problem came in when I applied the epoxy over the CPES. I applied the epoxy, but when it dried, I had the orange peel texture. I then went back to the Glen-L Forum to try and determine the source of the problem. I thought it came down to two things that needed to be done: 1) use a denatured alcohol to address any chemical contamination (and remove any sanding residue) before applying the epoxy; and , 2) because it was a hot day (90 degrees), I thought that viscosity may be a problem, so I tried a 5% addition of denatured alcohol mixed with the epoxy to reduce the viscosity. So, I sanded the orange peel off, applied four more coats of CPES, then applied the somewhat thinned epoxy hoping that this would solve my problem and it would flow out smoothly. Unfortunately, it dried to an orange peel finish again, but only over the areas of the boat with the stain and the CPES. The finish dried smooth as glass on the bottom of the Zip. I'm not sure what to do from here. I suspect that there is some kind of incompatibility of CPES and the Glen-L epoxy I am using (which is the slow hardener formula). As I plan on fiberglassing the boat with a thin fiberglass cloth (so that the natural finish can be seen), maybe it will not matter in the end, as the cloth must be filled anyway.

In any event, I'd sure like to hear from you folks out there about how I can get epoxy to flow out smoothly. I really do like the CC Red color and the natural wood grain coming through. But the orange peel sure looks unsightly up close.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have

mrintense

Re: Orange Peel due to CPES

Post by mrintense » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:26 pm

The orange peel effect on epoxy is very common as epoxy does not act the same way paint does. You can tip the epoxy right after application (roll it on then tip the area you just rolled on). This will settle it out some, but Epoxy is very unlikely to get the glass smooth look you are seeking. I've heard that some people will apply the epoxy in several coats then smooth sand it and apply varnish over that. Varnish will act more like paint and level out.

Obviously, take what I said in addition to what other's might say. I can't answer the incompatibility question directly, but I know other's have successfully applied epoxy over CPES. Good luck.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:04 pm

I've never spread epoxy that didn't have orange peel; I'm not sure if you can. You need to cover the epoxy with a finish paint to get a smooth finish and UV protection. You'll sand down the epoxy smooth before applying the finish in accordance with the particular finish instructions (usually 220 grit).

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:50 pm

Agree with need to apply UV protection over epoxy... a good quality varnish after sanding should do it.

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

rebillo

Post by rebillo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:00 pm

Thank you all so much. I thought I was doing something wrong. I sure appreciate the quick and thorough responses. All answers were the same also.

Thanks Again!

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:55 am

Be careful of what product you put over epoxy coatings. Some varnishes react with some epoxies causing the varnish not to harden and soften the epoxy leaving a sticky mess. Do a test on scrap before coating on your boat. I prefer using two part poly-u products on epoxy coated wood.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:45 am

The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”