Turning a Dream into Reality - Steel Ambition

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

TerryS

Turning a Dream into Reality - Steel Ambition

Postby TerryS » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:49 am

Was out searching sailboat builds this morning and came across this site/forum.

I'm from St. Louis and my husband built a large sailboat, that took 22 years (you know ... life gets in the way). Ours is a 53' long, oceangoing, steel hull sailboat that weighs 51,000 pounds.

I recently published a book about our journey towards the ride of a lifetime. I'm reaching out to those in the sailing community that may be interested in our story. My husband had a dream that most told him was impossible, but he turned it into the possible. Keep dreaming and building!

It’s not a “how to build a boat” book, but rather a compelling tale of hard work and accomplishment and a celebration of milestones. Once launched, he took the boat down a series of rivers to reach Mobile Bay, Alabama. After he got the sails and rigging set up, he finally did sail his boat after 24 years. That’s where the book ends, but since then, this past Jan/Feb he took it from Mobile Bay to Key West and back by himself.

Our website is www.steelambition.com. I'd love to know what you think and please share our site with anyone you think may be interested. The book is only available from our site and at events. It's the only way I could keep the costs down to include all the color photos throughout the boat.

mrintense

Re: Turning a Dream into Reality - Steel Ambition

Postby mrintense » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:09 am

Quite a project Terry. There are also quite a few builders here who have embarked on these lengthy projects as well as some out there who are not on the forum. I personally believe that building a boat is an extremely satisfying project. The sailboat pics in website you linked to show a piece of that determination and satisfaction at work. Congratulations on a fine build.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”