Deciding on boat build in Anoka, MN

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Otter

Deciding on boat build in Anoka, MN

Post by Otter » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Hello, everybody...finally introducing myself after scanning through the Forum for quite some time.
I am getting close to starting a new project. I have had experience building a couple of small craft (canoe and kayak) but nothing with a frame in it yet. I have been agonizing on what to build for over a year. I actually got the plans for the Squirt, but eventually decided I would start with something more practical. I am currently leaning to the Ski Bass....I spend a fair amount of time fishing, I have young kids I would like to pull skiing/on a tube...and I think I could make a REALLY unique boat out of this (a fishing machine with some of the styling of a Chris-Craft). Before I purchase the plans, I have a couple of questions for you experienced builders:

1) Have any of you monitoring the Forum built a Ski Bass...and are there any concerns/cautionary tales? Any reports on how the hull handles?
2) Are there any other designs that I can be adapted to a similar type of fishing/recreational boat that I should be considering? (I only ask because the beam on the Ski Bass is 7'-4", which appears to be a bit narrower than most fishing boats of that type/length.)

Thanks ahead of time for any input/advice.

Chris
Chris Otterness
Whitewater 16, Guillemot

hoodman

Re: Deciding on boat build in Anoka, MN

Post by hoodman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:00 am

I have not seen any builds of the ski bass here on the forum but the construction techniques are the same on all the sheet plywood boats. It should be a good performing hull. I think it's a deep v?

There are plenty of other designs that could be used for watersports and fishing but the ski bass is the most obvious. You can pick the hull you like and pretty much do what you want with the topsides in a lot of cases. I'm planning on fishing out of my Geronimo but I don't know what I'm going to do yet about a trolling motor.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:58 pm

Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

I have an aluminum boat with very similar lines and dimensions. My boat is 18'2" with a 96" beam, so 8" wider, 4" on a side. It has a 1 1/2" sheer rub rail, now we're down to about 3" on a side. Here a couple of pictures so you can judge the similarities for yourself.
port 2.jpg
stern.jpg
It's a very solid fishing platform, with fore and aft casting decks, and has very little side to side motion as people move around. The 150 pushes it right along, 175 seems like a lot...150 is a lot. Trim/tilt is a must.

In other words, I think the Ski Bass would be a fine choice for any kind of fishing, or towing kids around "trolling for Musky".

Tom

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:13 pm

It would be nice to follow a ski bass project here on the forum. I've always thought it was an attractive design. Always liked those kind of boats.
-Michael

"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly

Blog (Utility & Zip): http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Otter

Post by Otter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:54 pm

thanks for the advice, guys. I'm about 99 percent sure I'm going to do the Ski Bass. Now need to get my honey-do items out of the way.so I can start.

Tom..the "trolling for musky" comment cracked me up. I spent a lot of time in my youth tubing on lakes with large musky populations...and heard the stories on the news about kids losing a toe to a musky while dangling their feet off a dock. I always wondered the chance of having a Jaws-like encounter while on the tube!

chris
Chris Otterness
Whitewater 16, Guillemot

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”