Hi from Maryland - building the Malahini

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Sarnian

Re: Hi from Maryland - building the Malahini

Post by Sarnian » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:09 pm

Ok - so a quick update. I wrapped up the glassing a week or so ago - this was followed by lots of ROS, and then by long boarding -.
I rolled on a coat of grey primer, it's fun to see what it looks like with the bottom painted
E9B1D8D0-1150-4B76-8E27-4E1736ED2B72.jpeg
I have since given the bottom a good sanding to look for low spots, which I have now filled with fairing compound. Another sanding and I'll be ready for the skeg.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Skeg on. Sanded to 220. One more coat of primer needed. I'm using this stuff:
038B2A67-7A6C-41F4-985D-B7B29E1F15ED.jpeg
A92ED4EC-0D66-4C4B-B011-C5681E2E9B93.jpeg

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Looks great! How do you like the paint?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:35 pm

So far I like it. Goes on pretty smooth (roller) seems to be pretty good at filling small scratches etc, sands really well. Will see what the final coats look like.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:21 pm

I decided a week or two ago to put some splash/spray rails on - I wasn't too keen on having them reach all the way up to the bow, as I knew I wanted a cutwater and thought that it might extend below the chine. - knowing that I can always change it if needs be, I decided to put some relatively short spray/splash rails on -

resawed and planed down some white oak to ~1" x 3/4" and used this - I think they ended up being ~8 ft long. I rounded over the top side and tapered the ends - then screwed down in a bed of epoxy. Covered with 3 coats of epoxy, sanded through to 80, primed, sanded through to 220.

I'm not sure I can put off painting much longer.....
IMG_4250.jpeg
IMG_4251.jpeg
IMG_4252.jpeg

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:14 pm

I think the spray rails are a wise choice. Looking good!
Matt

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:20 am

Hi folks - now I'm starting to think a little more about power -

I was leaning toward a new 4 stroke which I would eventually try to give a retro look; however, I came across this place

http://www.mercrestor.com

and details here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCURY-OUTBOA ... 1714210244

I see a couple of pretty negative reviews - I wondered if anyone on this forum has had experience with this outfit?

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:36 am

Sorry but the link doesn't work for me. My suggestion is to look for a more local person or place to work with you on a vintage outboard. Try contacting the nearest AOMCI chapter for info. The 70s and 80s vintage Mercury outboards are a great choice as motors and parts are relatively plentiful. They also seem to have a better power to weight ratio than modern four-stroke motors. Though, the Evinrude E-tec is a very popular choice too.
I picked up a 1965 Merc 650 for my Malahini and refurbished it myself because I stumbled on a great deal and I wanted a true retro style to match with the boat. It's a bit heavier than other choices like a 1972 or later 65hp but it's ok by me.
My suggestion is to choose the size (hp) you want and then pick the lightest motor that appeals to you. I wouldn't recommend a 6 cylinder, kinda heavy for the Malahini, there's better choices. I would recommend at least 50hp in a two, three or four cylinder version for decent all around performance, more is better if you have tubing or skiing in mind.
Yours is a fun project to follow :D
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:11 am

Thanks Peter - this is great advice. It really appeals to me to try and refurb an old motor myself - but this is what I know about engines:

- they are heavy
- they use gas
- they are mostly made of metal

I worry it would eat up a huge amount of time learning how to work on an engine (although I think it would be great fun) and I'd like to get the boat in the water next summer (note that deadline for your own amusement as I fail to hit it next year).

In terms of power...my inner child says the more the better. I know, I know.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:11 am

One of the fun things of doing this project is researching and trying (note...not learning) new things. SO I decided to give spraying a bash. Indeed I learnt something.

Spraying finish on is difficult.

This is SM-266 (ironsides) off white and clear. Gloss. Just a heads up if anyone else is looking to have a go at spraying this - good safety equipment is a necessity. There are reams of topics about this online.
IMG_4258.jpeg
IMG_4259.jpeg
In the spirit of showing the ugly bits - II believe I'm going to be sanding and buffing some drips. More than I would have liked! see below...
IMG_4260.jpeg
Still, was fun.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:34 am

See? Now you have done some spray application. And learned that clear coat can be a bit challenging to spray because the coat buildup is harder to see. For a first spray job you did very well. Some block sanding and buffing those drips and sags and they will disappear.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Looks great, you'll get the hang of it! You're learning whether you realize it or not.
Matt

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:38 pm

After a crazy long travel season I'm back to being able to spend some time on the malahini. I finished painting the bottom, the sides still need work, have flipped, and started on the sole.

A question for those who've gone before me. The instructions note the idea of adding blocking to the chine to support the floor. I'm having a hard time conceptualizing this. Are these just at the intersection of the chine and the frames or all along the chine and against the side planking?

Have scoured the net for pictures but to no avail.

I will post some pics of my meager progress when I get back.

I also became slightly obsessed with the idea of putting a Mercury vazer Stern drive in my boat. I really liked the idea of a Stern drive, lower center of gravity, and just doing something a bit different...I suspect this is a non starter but it was fun to read about.

Anyway general thought regarding my rambling v welcome. More soon I promise (threat?)

sproggy

Post by sproggy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:59 am

A Mercury Vazer weighs 573lbs which, even without all the 'extras' like an exhaust system, is about 50% heavier than, for example, an E-TEC 90 at 390lbs. It's not an installation I'd consider. A low centre of gravity is no benefit if the top of your transom is under water......

If you really want a stern drive you could consider something like this:

https://www.sillette.co.uk/sonic_70_sterndrive.html

linked to a lighter weight engine like one from a PWC. You might struggle for a suitable gearbox, though, and it would likely be quite a long installation in terms of how much space it took up in the boat. That's the advantage of an outboard - it's outside the boat, not taking up people space. Part of the reason why I abandoned the idea of an inboard motor in my Zip.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:57 am

Thanks Sproggy. I'd say I'm only about 3% considering this. But it's interesting to discuss. I'd wondered, given that the weight of the engine would be aft of the transom, whether this would have less effect on trim than hanging a heavy outboard off the back. Much less stress on the transom for sure. Regardless 573 is a wee bit heavy!

If someone could just come up with a 100hp Stern drive, weighing less than 300lbs, easy to install, and small I'd be all set :D

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”