New Tuffy build in Bremerton, Wa

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

csixx

New Tuffy build in Bremerton, Wa

Post by csixx » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:01 am

Hello everyone.

I'm going to attempt to build the Glen-L Tuffy and, fingers-crossed, hopefully it will be successful :)
I've not had much experience in building things so this is a big undertaking for me, but I do love a good challenge.

So far, I've got the plans in-hand, some new tools purchased, and the form built.
I'm now looking into sourcing the marine plywood in my area.

Admittedly, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the plans, but I'm sure that will pass as I become more familiar.

Anyway, I plan on keeping a detailed record of the build on my website (www.steveody.com) in the Projects section so feel free to have a look.

-Steve

JimmY

Re: New Tuffy build in Bremerton, Wa

Post by JimmY » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:34 am

Welcome! There are few of those floating around here. :D

If you haven't bought it yet, get the Boat Building with Plywood. This will answer a lot of your questions and help you plan out various steps. And there is always the forums for questions.

Post photos and ask away, and most of all have fun!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Hey! Great to hear from a builder in my hometown of Bremerton. I grew up water skiing on Oyster Bay. I haven't lived in Bremerton for over 30 years but your post takes me back.

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:07 pm

welcome from me too !
An excellent source for wood in our area is Edensaw Woods. Their saleroom address is in Port Townsend, but they ship from Everett I believe. Quality of the wood product was great, and the service was excellent. My first order was over the minimum ($400 ?), so the shipping to Camano Island was free. When I had to order a bit more, even though it was under the minimum, they shipped it free too.
best of luck on your project. hope Edensaw works for you
bruce
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

csixx

Post by csixx » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:07 am

Thanks for all the warm welcomes :)
Edensaw is where I'll be getting the marine grade wood. I'm planning to drive over to PT and have a look one of these upcoming weekends. I didn't know about the free shipping so that's a bonus if I order that much at a time.

It's been fun so far and I'm learning a lot about boats and woodwork in general. I got a few frames built so hopefully I've done things correctly and it all lines up where it needs to heh.

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:34 am

For my Skipjack I purchased most of the wood from Midway Plywood in Mukilteo WA. They have Okoume and Meranti marine plywood, plus all sorts of board stock suitable for boatbuilding, including teak, sapele mahogany, white oak and many other species. In particular they often have nice long and clear offcuts of sapele for a good price. I used these almost exclusively for stringers and brightwork. You might be able to get better deals there than at Edensaw.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”