New member Sedalia MO

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Nivekj8

New member Sedalia MO

Postby Nivekj8 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:44 pm

Hello! I am planning on building a malahini. Working on getting the building area set up and then will get started! :D

PeterG

Re: New member Sedalia MO

Postby PeterG » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:05 am

Welcome! You've come to the right place. The Malahini is a great design and there are several builds to be found and followed here. Ask any and all questions you have because there is always someone here that can help. If you like, some highly recommended reading is the Glen L book Boatbuilding with Plywood. It's a great read and covers everything you'll need for how to build your boat.
Enjoy! And have fun!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:31 am

Nivekj8

Welcome. There are a few builders up your way.

My mother was from Nevada. My father was from Thayer.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:42 am

Welcome, central Missouri has many nice lakes well suited for the Malahini. Pound for pound, it’s hard to beat a Malahini for inland lakes. It’s easy sheet plywood construction, roomy, economical and has attractive lines for a sheet plywood boat. Have fun, we’re here to help if you hit a snag.
Matt B

Nivekj8

Postby Nivekj8 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:50 am

I'm excited! Only problem I'm running into so far is finding supplies. I can't find African mahogany or marine plywood anywhere near me. I have a lot of white oak but I keep reading that it's not the greatest to build with. If there is anyone near me that can point me in a good direction it would be appreciated.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:46 pm

All my framing is white oak. No problems with it. Of course, if it all flies apart on Saturday I'll let you know.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:20 pm

I made my Malahini frames out of white oak, little on the heavy side, but many redeeming qualities as well. I, like many others, order my marine plywood from Homestead in one big bulk shipment. Shipping cost sucks but in the grand scheme a mere drop in the bucket.
https://www.marine-plywood.us/
Matt B

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:26 pm

Matt

It's not coming apart. But, do put the plugs in! OH! and unhook it from the trailer :!: That looks very bad. :oops:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”