New member from Atlanta, GA

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

eckie63

New member from Atlanta, GA

Post by eckie63 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:45 am

Hi everyone,

I am originally from Gothenburg, Sweden but have been living in Atlanta since 1994. My family back in Sweden had boats since before I was born. Over there it is very common to take 3-4 weeks vacation during the summer. I grew up spending many summers out on our boats along the Swedish west coast. My wife here in the US did not grow up with boats, so she has been very hesitant to us getting one. We live minutes from one of the lakes in this area and the summer of 2016 she finally admitted that it might be nice to have a smallish boat. I seized the opportunity and started looking around for something used. That's when I came across the plans for the PM38. It isn't a Glen-L design, but was published in the August 1962 issue of Popular Mechanics. She agreed and I set out to build one. I had never done anything like this before although I did take wood shop back in school many years ago. During the build I did purchase several items from Glen-L's store and I discovered the many designs they have to offer. Now, a year or so after completing my PM38 I am planning to give a Glen-L Party Boat a try. We'll see how that goes.

-Peter
My previous project: Popular Mechanics PM38 from 1962 (Not a Glen-L design though)
A neat method for steam bending in place.
Using Tractor paint for your boat. Great for trailered boats.

BarnacleMike

Re: New member from Atlanta, GA

Post by BarnacleMike » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:07 pm

Peter,

Welcome aboard!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”