New Member in Red Deer Alberta

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Gus

New Member in Red Deer Alberta

Post by Gus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:17 pm

Recently I retired rather early, and now find myself with too much free time. Sitting around the house with 6 littles (wife runs a dayhome) under 5 can be quite frustrating, so from somewhere came the idea to build a boat. I have always enjoyed working with wood, and have collected a good array of tools. I come from a technical background, being both an electronics technologist as well as an electrical technician. I trained in the Royal Canadian Navy and on the job since my retirement from the RCN. Most recently I was the electrical technician in the electrical department of a major trades school. After many years of working with metal and electricity, I am looking forward to working with wood. The epoxy and fiberglass aspects of the build seem a little daunting at this point, but with time I will come to grasp those also.

For many years I had wanted to purchase a cedar strip canoe but the cost has been prohibitive. Building a boat at my own speed and as the budget allows seems to be a better way. I found the drift boat style quite intriguing as many of the lakes around Central Alberta are glorified sloughs, but the rivers from flood to ebb seem to have quite a bit of life. I am not a fisherman and just enjoy a run of river outing. As a youngster and teenager I spent many hours in the rivers of north central Ontario, I am hoping to again have these same hours of peace and quiet.

I am now waiting for the plans I ordered. Researching materials and suppliers in my area. The boatshed (garage) will need a major cleaning and organizing weekend (week?) to be setup for anything but storage. I currently own quite a good selection of woodworking machinery as well as electric and hand tools. The only hand tool I will definitely need to purchase is a decent crosscut saw.

I am looking forward to the challenge.

hoodman

Re: New Member in Red Deer Alberta

Post by hoodman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:20 am

Welcome! Building a boat is a great way to spend your free time. And also all your other time too!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:30 am

Welcome Gus,

Will you be building the Mckenzie or one of the others?

Tom
Last edited by TomB on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gus

Post by Gus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:21 pm

I've ordered the 14, 16, 18 ft McKenzie Drifter plans. I will give it a go and see how it turns out.
I'm not new to woodworking or fabrication, but have really never had to follow a set of plans as closely as I know I will have to with the boat.
No more winging it.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:46 pm

I struggle with not winging it as well...usually I realize I didn’t follow the plans I look at it and figure, what’s the worst that could happen? Free swim? :lol:
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? Ecc 7:13 :)

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”