New member from Oklahoma

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

WilliamC

New member from Oklahoma

Postby WilliamC » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:45 pm

hello I'm a new member from Oklahoma. My name is Bill. I'm not new to boat building or about anything that has to do with marine in general. Just new to this forum. I have built boats and barges from steel and wood. My trade is a heavy equipment mechanic. And it would be way easier to tell you where I haven't worked in my 40 year career than where I have worked. I am wanting to build a cruiser type of boat. I will build the hull from steel as I have extensive experience building with steel. My problem is I want a hull that is a displacement hull but I want two things that glen L offers but in two different boats. I like the size of the coastal cruiser, but it's small on beam and length for me. I would like to see a boat about 28" to 30' in length and about 10' of beam in steel so do I resize a coastal cruiser. Or shrink a Union Jack. Now comes the fun part I still want to be able to trailer it. I know that size beam would need a permit and that's not a problem. What I want to do is use this for coastal cruising along the gulf and maybe around the south loop around Florida. And maybe into the Bahamas. I own a house and large shop in north central Oklahoma. And a house with boat dock in in southwest Louisiana. I have about two years before I retire and would like to do some cruising when I retire. Bill

hoodman

Re: New member from Oklahoma

Postby hoodman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Union Jack would be a better starting point since it's already pretty much the size you want. Plus it's already designed for steel. Or do you want exactly 10 foot beam? Changing the beam on these designs isn't as simple as changing the length. You know there's a seaport in Tulsa? Welcome to the forum.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:25 pm

My bad, I see that the coastal cruiser has a steel version also. My dream is the coastal cruiser or similar will be my retirement boat.

WilliamC

Postby WilliamC » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:46 pm

No the 10' beam is not a must do. But I do want something close to that. I have some ideas about propulsion, but I want to incorporate at engine drive alternator for 110 volt. I am a diabetic and will need a refrigerator to keep insulin cold. And since that will draw more horsepower to run I plan on putting about a 100 hp diesel to run that and propulsion. I will have solar and thought of using a rv fridge that can run on 12 volt too. Since the way I plan on using this boat I will be on it for extended periods of time. Not living full time but I can envision crusing for up to 6 months or so. Thanks for the replies Bill

WilliamC

Postby WilliamC » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:05 pm

The Nordcoaster is just about the size I want and is about as big a boat that still be trailered. But it isn't available in steel. But since the hulls are about the same design for the Nordcoaster and the Union Jack and the coastal cruiser. My next question would be what would it take to make the hull from steel for the Nordcoaster? Is it a matter of sizing the scantlings and frames in steel. Would I have to buy two plans? Say the Nordcoaster and the Union Jack. Or would I be better off down sizing the Union Jack or upsizing the coastal cruiser? Thanks Bill

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”