New Builder from Seattle, Wa

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

OakHeart

New Builder from Seattle, Wa

Post by OakHeart » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:47 am

Hey there everyone!

I am starting a build of a boat - a bit different than most here I assume. After looking at the entire Glen L catalogue, I couldn't find the exact thing I was looking for. I really wanted to use Glen L plans, but nothing seemed right. the plans I did end up really liking are from classic wood boat plans - its the 16' deep v http://www.classicwoodenboatplans.com/d ... 6-inboard/

They recommended I read Boatbuilding with Plywood by Glen L, and I plan to order all of my supplies from Glen L as well, hopefully that will qualify me to be on the forums here.

The plans I bought are pretty bare bones without much explanation or order, so I think I might buy similar Glen L plans to use as a rough general procedure list (and if I ever want to build a second boat I guess).

If anyone reading this is from the greater Seattle area: I would love to meet up, have a beer, see your boat/build, and get help starting mine!

For anyone else, feel free to leave some sage advice, tips, pitfalls to watch out for, or words of encouragement :P

Here is to the kick off of a great adventure -

Cheers,
Jon
Hobby woodworker turned clueless boat builder

Follow my progress on the Heart of Oak
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUJhosdLV6BWblPJecYsCYQ

DrBryanJ

Re: New Builder from Seattle, Wa

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Jon: Welcome. Others here have built non Glen-L boats. I would definitely recommend the boat building with plywood book. I also bought plans from classic wooden boats that I did not use. There is much more detail in the Glen-L plans. I don't think I would have been able to build my first boat without the details from Glen. Good luck with your build. Start a thread in power boats and post pics as you go. I know there are several builders in the Seattle area. I'm sure they will chime in.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:16 am

Jon… I agree with Bryan concerning the Classic Wooden Boat plans. I am using their plans to build the Palm Beach 22, and if you haven't done this before, you may be in for a real challenge. You may be ahead of the game if you can find a Glen-L plan you like, and modify it some to suit your needs. Glen-L plans have details, a materials list, and instructions you probably won't find in the CWB plans. Best of luck to you with your build, no mater what plans you use... Neel

csixx

Post by csixx » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:56 am

Hi there, I'm across the water from you in Bremerton and recently started a Glen-L build.
I'd also recommend the Glen-L book. IMO, with the book in hand, you probably wouldn't need to buy any additional plans.

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:39 am

Hi Jon and welcome. That's a nice looking design you're planning. Have you considered the similar Glen-L Barrelback? (Well, similar-looking above the waterline anyway.)

I live in Kirkland and built a Stevenson Designs Super Skipjack. Didn't like how it sailed so I'm making some modifications. Phase 1 of those mods should be finished this weekend and I hope to sail her on Sunday. Perhaps you'd like to come along?

Csixx, which design are you building?

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”