New Member from Central NY

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

polakmr

New Member from Central NY

Post by polakmr » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is matt and I live in Oneida, NY which is just east of Syracuse, NY. I have been thinking of building a boat for quite some time now and have decided to do the zip for my first build. I am an automotive technology instructor at the college level and have many years of experience wood working. I am definitely looking forward to the challenge! I have followed many of your builds and they are all works of art! Has anyone else built a Glen L. in my neck of the woods? Would love to get some insight and also an idea where I can get marine grade plywood in the area.

Thanks!

hoodman

Re: New Member from Central NY

Post by hoodman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:43 pm

The zip is a great boat. Welcome to the forum. Have you checked this page to see if you can find a supplier in your area?
http://www.glen-l.com/resources/lumber-suppliers.html
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Welcome to the forum, with your woodworking experience building a boat will be no great challenge. Different but not hard. How did you arrive at building the “Zip”? The reason I ask is so fellow boat builders might validate your boating requirements with your choice of design. The Zip is a great middle of the road boat, not too big of a boat with modest power requirements.
Have fun and please allow use to enjoy your build with you by posting updates and pictures,
Matt B

polakmr

Post by polakmr » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:34 pm

Thanks guys, I checked the list but none of the suppliers are that close to me. I have however found a supplier in the Rochester, NY area which is about a 1.5 hour drive for me. I arrived at the zip as I thought it would be a boat big enough for the wife, myself, and our two 8 year old daughters. When I am ready to retire I would like to build a Barrel back 19. I figured the zip would allow me to learn the craft and fit my current usage. I thought it may be to large of a task to tackle a large I/O right off the bat. I also have an open bow for watersports and such so I do not plan on doing much with the zip other than for pleasure cruises, mostly with the wife.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:24 pm

Zip is a little small for four. It will definitely hold four but not much else. Something the size of the Malahini or similar could totally replace that bowrider.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:21 am

Ok, I’m going to be the one to say it. If you have the room I would suggest building the Malahini over the Zip. They are both beautiful sheet plywood boats and will take the same amount of time to build. The difference in size is significant though, 6 inches beam and about 2 ft longer doesn’t sound like much but it is!
They both have identical ride quality, light chop only boats. The one big difference is the cost to power the boat. 25-50hp for a Zip and 50-90hp for a Malahini.
It’s the same when someone talks about building the Squirt, I suggest maybe building a single cockpit Flying Saucer instead. So if your garage and your wallet will support it, Go for another 2 ft of boat, and the best part is this: you build what ever you want and how you want it because it’s your boat and nobody else’s.
Glad to chat with a fellow shipwright,
Matt B

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”