Beginner Questions

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Alabama

Beginner Questions

Post by Alabama »

I live in the Guntersville, Alabama area and I am interested in building my first boat. I would like some advice on type, size, etc. I am interested in a Glen-L Zip boat but not sure if that's the best place to start. I'll begin by providing what I know (which is very little) and I would appreciate input.

1) Guntersville Lake is 69,000 acres and fed by the Tennessee River.
2) I have moderate building/carpentry skills but have never built a boat.
3) I prefer a boat that would carry 3-4 people and I like the style of the Zip boats.
4) I prefer an outboard motor configuration but steered by a wheel, not a tiller.
5) I prefer a smaller motor 40 hp or less.
6) I have a 20' x 30' insulated build space with concrete floor available, accessed via a 10' x 8' garage door.
7) I prefer a boat just to cruise around in and use for fishing periodically.
8) I prefer a build time of less than one year. I am retired and can commit significant time to the build.

I am sure I left off pertinent data but I just wanted to start somewhere. I would appreciate any advice regarding tool needs, cost range, etc. Thanks so much!

Bill Edmundson

Re: Beginner Questions

Post by Bill Edmundson »

AL

Welcome!

We had our first three Gatherings at Guntersville. I would recommend the Malahini https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=339 and stretch it the 10%. It will cost very little more than the ZIP. It will be much more comfortable for 4 adults and will run good on 40 HP. It will do a little better in the chop that your lake gets when the wind is coming up the river!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

I second Bill's suggestion of the Malahini as a great design for your needs. I am building one myself and several others have documented their Malahinis here for you to study. Though I do caution that Glen L does not recommend lengthening the Malahini by 10% I think because it is basically a Ski Tow that has had the 10% added. If you feel the need for a hull with higher sides you might look at the Geronimo. Like Bill says, a modern 40hp outboard will do nicely for a Malahini but if you plan on more than 2 people, I would recommend 50 or 60 hp.
Good luck, ask questions and have fun!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Alabama

Post by Alabama »

Thanks so much for the input. It will be checking out this model.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

good luck...I too am a Malahini builder (although not sure my efforts so far qualify as building). It is fantastic fun - I am 11 months in and about 1/2 way through - but only managing to spend a few hours a week on it. So a year will be no problem for you. It sounds as though you have a great build space also.

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

The Zip with 600lbs of people or less is great. How it will work for you depends on the weight of the people you want to carry. Above 600lbs total passenger weight performance really starts to drop off. I was able to get and keep mine on plane with 750 lbs on board but that was really what I consider the absolute limit and I wouldnt recommend it. The back seat knee room is limited by the rear seats top frame member. People under 5'-6" and around 110lbs probably dont mind the backseat. With bench seat up front there is room for 3 across the front seat and one in the backseat to give more options.
This is my experience with a Zip with a 1975 mercury 40hp 2 stroke. IF your passengers will be light-weight and not above 6ft tall I say go for the Zip. Be aware on Guntersville on windy days any of these flat bottom designs like the Zip and Malahini will result in a fairly rough ride on plane. When rough you really have to slow down.

You might look at the Celerity, Overnighter, Ski-Tow and Geronimo designs as well.

Here is a video of Glen-L boats on Guntersville.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctMb9FgwI7Y

Alabama

Post by Alabama »

Thanks again to everyone for the input. My first step is reading the "Boatbuilder's Notebook:, Second edition by Glen L. Witt.

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike »

Welcome to the forum! If you like the Zip, but want to regularly carry 3-4 people, then i’d also recommend the Malahini. It’s in every way a more comfortable boat for that many people than the Zip. The Zip is a great boat, but think of it more as a 2-person boat with a back seat (kind of like a VW Jetta is a “sedan”). The Malahini is slightly larger, has more room, and won’t be any harder to build than a Zip.
"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I’ve never been in a Malahini with only a 40 hp. My guess is. it would be fine with a light load and would struggle with 4 adults. I’ve ridden in a 60, a 70 (4 strokes) and mine is a 2 stroke 90 hp Malahini, IMHO the best bang for the buck is a 60 hp on a Malahini.
Matt B

Alabama

Post by Alabama »

Thanks for the recommendations on the motor horsepower. When I get to that stage I think I will opt for at least a 50-60 horsepower motor for the Malahini.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”