New Member - Massachusetts

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Chuckq1

New Member - Massachusetts

Post by Chuckq1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:28 pm

Just joined the forum and I'm building a Bravado stretched version. I have some experience as an amateur builder but am completely impressed with most of builders projects as shown in the photo section. I hope I can come even a little close to that kind of workmanship. One more thing, I'm also very impressed with the artwork and detail on the Glen-L drawings.
Chuck

cepjr

Re: New Member - Massachusetts

Post by cepjr » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:18 am

Welcome chuck! I'm in mass. Also. Looking forward to some pics. Of your build! What part of the state are you in?

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:09 pm

Welcome! How far along are you? Or just in the planning stages?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Chuckq1

Post by Chuckq1 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:43 pm

Hi guys,
I started this build about two months ago and have all the frames done except the transom which I'm currently working on. I used white oak with okoume marine plywood gussets. I'm using epoxy resin with thickener for glue (the wet method).
I'm a retired 72 YO and am having a great time doing this. I recommend this undertaking to any other retiree looking for something to do, it's just a blast. I think I'll have as much fun building it as I will using it.
I only looked at this forum a few days before I joined it and was impressed with the type smart guys who help out. But I must say that this forum is old enough that most issues have been worked out years ago and one just has to use the search function to find his answers including, sometimes, comments from Glen Witt himself.
I'm sorry, no pictures yet. I'm located in Marshfield.
I've built a couple of other boats, airplanes, and stuff over the years. None of it is "works of art" but fairly solid machines.
Chuck

Chuckq1

New Member - Massachusetts - Update

Post by Chuckq1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:11 pm

Hi Guys,
I thought I'd update a little bit.
I got a little worried about the durability and low resistance to rot of Okoume so I'm using Merranti plywood on my transom and in the stem.
Both of these plywoods look great and I plan to bury it all in epoxy resin anyway but I just don't want anyone who might own this thing after I'm gone to experience this kind of problem.
The Merranti is pretty close to the Douglas Fir plywood in it's characteristics but without the football patches. I think I'll use Sapele plywood topsides just for it's beautiful appearance. Douglas Fir is on the material list for this boat, Bravado, but I thought I'd go with something a little nicer. Lesson learned, be very careful with substitutions.
Okoume is used a lot in boat building it turns out. I went to the boat builders boat shows in Portland, ME. and in Hyannis, MA. and found quite a few professional boatbuilders using it.
In any case all of this stuff is a shear pleasure to work with. All this marvelous hard wood looks, smells and feels great. I think my power tools are all thanking me.
There's an old saying by someone "When all else fails, follow the plans".
Chuck

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:50 am

Chuck,

It's great to hear you're enjoying the build so much! Good to have you on the Forum...

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”