Newbie from Winder, Ga

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Ga-Steve

Newbie from Winder, Ga

Post by Ga-Steve » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:23 pm

I ordered and received my plans for the 16’ Outrage. Been wanting to build a boat for years. Going to be more for retirement to have something to do but finding a place big enough has been the problem now. And a level place. I have built a lean-to off my barn but will have to shim up the framing form to get it level. We’ll see. Steve Jackson

GregHall

Re: Newbie from Winder, Ga

Post by GregHall » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:32 pm

I feel ya. I'm doing the "shade tree boat build" too. My shop isn't large enough and I'm planning to get a portable carport to build my Barrelback under. See you around!
Building a Barrelback in Rome, Ga.
Never fly with anyone braver than you.
Never run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas at the same time.
www.youtube.com/c/austringercreations

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:50 pm

Gonna be tight. My barn is 16’ that I tied on too. Overhang is 10’. Boat plans say the Outrage is 16’5” with a beam of 7’. Hope I can move around with a 1-1/2’ on either side. I thought about the metal garage thing. Home Depot had them for $7-800. I might have to go that route. I got the wood for the framing form today. Plug along a little everyday. Where are you getting your wood there in Rome? Steve

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:35 am

That's a pretty tight space for a boat that size. Maybe if you can make the side of your lean-to so that it can be removed temporarily that would give you the extra space you need.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:49 am

The Outrage will be an interesting build. 18" on the side will be tight. Maybe you can use casters on your build form so the boat can be moved around a little to give you all the space available wherever you're working. Tom

Po'boy

Post by Po'boy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:42 am

Welcome from Hiram, Ga. I'm working on a Waterlodge Too. I'll be purchasing a Shelter Logic or similar to build mine under. I've got a fairly level spot but will be anchoring the frame to some post set in Sakrete in the ground. This will allow me to level the frame and still have a rock solid base. When it's time to flip the hull, all have to do is block it up and unbolt the frame from the post that are concreted in the ground. Good luck and post updates.

GregHall

Post by GregHall » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:04 am

I'm using some white oak milled from my land. I don't have quite as much usable as I thought (but plenty left over to use for furniture and other projects I build) so I'm supplementing with white oak from a buddy of mine who does all my milling.
Ga-Steve wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:50 pm
Gonna be tight. My barn is 16’ that I tied on too. Overhang is 10’. Boat plans say the Outrage is 16’5” with a beam of 7’. Hope I can move around with a 1-1/2’ on either side. I thought about the metal garage thing. Home Depot had them for $7-800. I might have to go that route. I got the wood for the framing form today. Plug along a little everyday. Where are you getting your wood there in Rome? Steve
Building a Barrelback in Rome, Ga.
Never fly with anyone braver than you.
Never run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas at the same time.
www.youtube.com/c/austringercreations

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:45 pm

I have a transom question but don’t have permission yet, it seems, so I hope it is OK to ask here. The plans say double laminations of 3/4 ply plus another frame piece of stock. Curious as to why the inner lamination of ply is not a full piece but just around the perimeter with the inner most lamination of stock mirroring that. I would think a double full sheet would be better with the inner stock frame piece as It calls for a motor board. That is throwing me off. With a motor board, that would almost be like a full double transom. Thoughts welcome, Steve

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:22 am

Steve,
A photo of the area in question on the plan would help us understand what you're up against. This is just a guess, a double layer of plywood, plus a layer inside of framing material. Fasteners do not hold in plywood edge. An inside layer of solid lumber bonded to the plywood and gives something for planking to be screwed to.
Tom

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Yes, I understand about screws in the ply edge. That’s why the plan calls for stock material in the inner most framing of the transom. The plans call for a motor plate so why not use a full transom mirrowing the outer transom? I don’t know how to post pics. I was just wondering the logic. Saw a couple of videos where guys where repairing or replacing their transoms in fiberglass boats and they were doing 2 full 3/4” plys laminated. I had thought about doing the 2 full plies laminated plus the inner framed laminate and not worrying about the motor plate. But I will do as the plans state. Thanks for the reply, Steve
Well, maybe this pic will work
Attachments
E9EAD4B9-DBA5-4855-AD9B-F4D76C7BAEAC.jpeg

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:00 am

I've seen motor plates get chewed up by the motor mounts. Beyond not being sacrificial/replaceable a full size wouldn't add much weight. Tom

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:28 pm

You can do a full width inner lamination of ply between the solid wood framing if you want. But it's not required.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”