news members from FRANCE

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

chris62

news members from FRANCE

Post by chris62 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:08 am

Hello Glen-L community,

I'm Christophe From France, and I'm glad to write my first post here.

I already bought the ZIP plans and screw kit a few years ago, but I think I won't go for the zip...I love its look but I think it won't be suitable for the use i'll have of it. Indeed, I plan to use my boat on the meditérranean sea in Spain, only in summer, and there are waves ! and sommetimes fairly high ones.

So I think the Geronimo could be a better choice. but before chosing a design I would like the choice to be validated by you guys !
Is this the good choice, or not ?
knowing that I have to travel with the boat on a trailer 1000 kilometers to reach Spain, so 15/16 ft long no more, and it has to carry safely my wife, my two kids and me of course.

My Friend Nicolas and I will build our boats at the same time in his hangar, he is going to build the Glen L 15 sail boat. I think we are going to have fun. he is a stairs builder and has good woodworking skills and tools also, that will help a lot !

thank you for your feedback

sproggy

Re: news members from FRANCE

Post by sproggy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:45 am

Welcome, Christophe!

I am building a Zip in the UK and realised rather late on that it will not be suited to use on the sea except in very calm conditions. I have increased the freeboard on mine by 75mm but the fairly flat bottom is not suited to rough water. You might want to consider something with a deeper V hull like the Celerity which will ride better in waves. The Geronimo is a nice design with more freeboard but I think it is still quite a shallow V.

If I was starting again, or if I knew when I started what I know now, I would probably have chosen the Celerity and then changed the topsides design for a more classic runabout look. With your length requirement you could stretch the design by 10% and it would be just under 16' (4.9m) long.

Ian

chris62

Post by chris62 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:48 am

Hello Sproogy,

I had a look on Google maps and we only live 350 km far from eachother ! but with a sea in between ;-)

thank you for your answer and advise, I never considered the celerity, maybe because of the hull design that look "too modern" for me.

Knowing the V angle of the Geronimo could help, also some feedback from the Geronimo owners.

Do you think Glen L team could provide me with this information ? who may I contact ?

thank you for your help

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:22 am

Christophe: Hoodman built a Geronimo. If you reach out to him, I'm sure he can give you the deadrise.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:40 pm

Unknown what the deadrise is, but it's fairly shallow. There is lots of freeboard and you have to hit a pretty big wave to get spray over the bow.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:39 am

Matt, can you measure the angle between horizontal and the bottom at the transom? I believe that's the deadrise at the transom.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:01 pm

I'll try to remember to get a measurement when I pull it out of the garage this week.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:48 am

The transom deadrise on the Geronimo is about 5-6 degrees--pretty flat. The Celerity is a good choice or the Roustabout if you want to go a bit longer.
https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=253

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”