105 4 stroke Chrysler outboard

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mcpotts2000

105 4 stroke Chrysler outboard

Post by mcpotts2000 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:29 pm

I jus got this motor.....can anyone tell me about it? Is it a good runner or will I regret putting it on my boat

galamb

Re: 105 4 stroke Chrysler outboard

Post by galamb » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:01 pm

Disclosure - I never made my living working on outboards but my Dad had a shop and have worked on them for the better part of 45 years.

I suspect you meant that it's a "2 stroke" 105 horse. They were made for 5 model years (inconsistently) between 1976 and 1983.

I wouldn't put a Chrysler outboard on anything now. Even when they were still in business they were a finicky engine.

They went bankrupt decades ago. US Marine bought out the outboard division and started marketing them as FORCE outboards which were mostly cobbled together with existing Chrysler parts, using up a majority of any (spare) parts/stock and they never tooled up to produce more parts when they ran out, eventually creating a number of "franken-models" that were cobbled together with whatever part would fit the application (whole different story).

It will be next to impossible to find (new but old stock) replacement parts for even the most basic components although you still can find a water pump impeller, a fuel pump diaphragm, distributor cap and a belt, but forget carb kits, most gaskets, other ignition parts etc - there is just none in stock anywhere.

If the motor is running or can get by with a water pump service, clean the carbs (as long as you don't need parts), maybe a fuel pump diaphragm (but again, you won't even find a cover gasket) and some new spark plugs and maybe distributor cap (although that lists at 150 bucks) you can treat it like a "disposable" motor to hold you over until it can be replaced.

But if it "needs work" at the moment I really wouldn't waste the effort. There isn't many motors built before about 1995 that I would even try to get running at the moment - a few - but this is not even something I would touch.

Just my opinion and probably worth nothing more than it cost you...
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”