New member. Squirt jet build intended

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Peterf

New member. Squirt jet build intended

Post by Peterf » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:54 pm

Greetings. Having grounded my stitch and glue dory 6 hp and my now 90hp Mariner on sandbanks where there should have been depth given the tide height in the estuary, it's time to go jet. I had a Subaru powered sit behind little fibre glass jet boat years ago. Great fun but salt killed starter motors.
Having done a ply on frame boat 50 years ago and recently two dories a pretty Squirt for two seems ideal. Reading the forum the jet bit looks a bit scary from some of the talk. Porpoising is not fun. Unfortunately all the cut up the jetski posts stop writing after taking the grinder to their thousands of dollars jet ski. Is this because it's a nightmare or because they are so happy?
Any New Zealanders out there to visit or Aus guys did you finish? Posts seem 10 years ago. Very keen to start but it would nice to be re-assured that the wave runner or sea doo destruction won't be another pointless contributor to the planet waste. Look forward to encouraging comment.

DrBryanJ

Re: New member. Squirt jet build intended

Post by DrBryanJ » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:31 am

Peter, there were a couple of jet boats at the gathering this year. I believe they were squirts. They ran great and looked like a blast to ride. The project is doable, but I don't know all that's involved.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:19 am

There are some well documented builds of Jet Squirts out there (search jet squirt and you will find them), so I don't think you will be treading on new ground. There are two approaches, 1. graft the drive portion of the jetski to the Squirt hull, and 2. build the jet tunnel into the hull and mount the engine and pump to it. Both are well documented and have their pluses and minuses.

I seriously considered a jet drive before starting my Squirt, and settle on a classic outboard instead. My main concern was the reliability of the jetski motors. You are asking for a lot of horse power from a small package. My friend has a couple older jetskis and has a lot of engine problems. Your mileage may vary, and your use case (need for shallow performance) is different than mine.

Some things to consider...

If you buy an older donor ski to cut up or salvage the engine/pump, you may not know what you are getting as far as the engine. I think the pumps are pretty straight forward and parts are typically available. You may want to consider buying a stripped down hull to get the tunnel to graft in, and then spring for a re-built or new engine and pump to bolt on. Some of this will depend on how handy you are working on engines and your budget.

Even on a stretched Squirt, the "engine" compartment is pretty small, and I think you will be limited to a 2 cylinder engine without moving the seat forward and shortening the bow. Even then, the pump will hang off the back of the transom.

Bottom line, jet Squirts look really cool and are fast. If that is what you need and want, go for it. Plenty of help here on these forums to get you to the launching ramp.

My $0.02
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:51 am

Peterf

Welcome! After you have 3 approved post, you will have access to Personal Mail (PM). Then you can contact others directly.

The 2 boats that were at the Gathering were built by Reynolty (Tyler Reynol) and Bulldogboater (Kevin Brown). Kevin sold his to Tony & Erica Sewell). The Sewell are who had the boat at the Gathering. Kevin didn't make it last year. He had to work after the hurricane hit his territory.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”